23 Easy Porridge Recipes - Porridge is an easily digestible nutritional food for people of all ages, and surely it makes deliciously healthy food for babies as it has a smooth structure and comforting to the taste buds for the little ones. Porridges are not only meant for the first food for babies but also best to offer them when your child is sick or fussy about food.
Here are some healthy, easy to make porridges for babies, toddlers, and kids. Also, check out our collection of homemade baby food recipes for 6-12 months if interested.
Bookmark this page for future reference as I will be updating this post regularly. Click on each thumbnail image given below for the porridge recipes. Choose recipes according to your baby's age, which is mentioned in the brackets along with recipe heading.
Points to note while preparing porridge for your baby:
- Always serve the porridge fresh and warm. Better to consume the porridge within 2 hours from the preparation.
- If the porridge is too thick after cooling down, make sure to adjust the consistency by adding breastmilk/formula milk/ cow's milk or warm water.
- Make sure not to boil/cook formula milk If the recipe calls for it. Prepare the porridge with water, and once the porridge is warm, add prepared formula milk.
- If your baby is allergenic to any ingredient used in the porridge, please remove it while preparing.
- For babies below one year, prefer fruit purees, dates syrup, and pureed raisins as sweeteners.
- To get the baby to use to different textures and tastes, make sure to include a variety of foods in their monthly diet other than porridges.
23 Easy Porridge Recipes for babies, toddlers, and Kids:
1. Rice Porridge (6 Months+) :
Rice porridge is an ideal first food for babies as it's easily digestible and less likely to cause allergic reactions. This rice porridge recipe is prepared with homemade rice cereal and also is best to offer when the child is sick as it gives instant energy.
2. Rice Porridge with Moong Dal ( 6 months +):
Rice moong dal porridge is made with homemade rice moong dal powder, which is loaded with carbohydrates and protein. Once the baby is comfortable with plain rice porridge, you can slowly introduce this rice porridge with moong dal.
3. Barley Porridge (6 Months+):
4. Ragi Porridge with whole Ragi (6 Months+):
5. Ragi porridge with homemade sprouted Ragi powder (6 Months+):
This ragi porridge is made with homemade sprouted ragi powder, which is easily digestible and rich in nutrients. You can make this ragi porridge with milk for toddlers and kids instead of water.
Check out ragi porridge recipe (made with sprouted ragi flour) here
6. Sweet Potato Poha Porridge (7 Months+):
A healthy combination of porridge with sweet potatoes poha and raisins loaded with vitamins and fiber. This sweet poha porridge is a wholesome and filling porridge for your baby!
7. Wheat Porridge (8 Months+):
This wheat porridge is prepared with whole wheat flour, yellow moong dal, and almonds. Wheat can be introduced to a baby's diet after eight months as plain wheat porridge. If the baby is not showing any allergic reaction for wheat, try this wheat moong dal almond porridge.
8. Broken Wheat/ Dalia Porridge (8 Months+):
Cracked wheat, aka dalia, is rich in calcium, iron, and vitamins, which should be part of a child's healthy diet. This porridge is one of the best ways to include broken wheat in growing children's menus. This wheat porridge is made with dates to make it more healthy!
9. Urad Dal Porridge ( 8 Months+):
Urad dal is rich in calcium and helps in healthy weight gain in children. It's also suitable for pregnant women and lactating moms.
10. Homemade Cerelac Porridge/ Sathu Maavu Kanji (8 Months+):
Homemade Cerelac is a health mix powder made with a combination of pulses, legumes, and nuts. Its the best weight gaining food for children and should be an essential part of growing children's diet.
11. Oats Banana Porridge (8 Months+):
Oats is a fiber-rich food for babies that can be given from 8 months. This oats porridge is prepared with bananas to make it more healthy and wholesome.
12. Bajra Porridge (8 Months+):
Iron-rich porridge made with bajra flour, which helps to maintain the hemoglobin levels of children.
13. Sooji Porridge/ Rava Porridge (6 Months+):
Sooji/Rava/cream of wheat is an easily digestible food for babies that can be given from 6 months. This sooji porridge can be prepared with breast milk or formula milk and sweetener as fruits for babies below one year.
14. Green Gram Porridge (10 Months+):
Green gram/green moong bean is protein-packed that can be introduced to babies after ten months. This green gram porridge is one of the delicious ways to include green grams in kid's diets. It's also ideal for pregnant women and lactating moms.
Check out green gram porridge recipe here
15. Rice Milk Porridge (1 year+):
16. Oats Porridge (8 M+):
17. Poha Porridge (7 M+):
18. Oats Apple Porridge (8 M+):
19. Puffed Rice Porridge (7 M+):
20. Instant Sooji Porridge (6 M+):
21. Ragi Urad Dal Porridge (8 M+):
22. Sabudana Porridge (7 M+):
23. Rice Porridge (6 M+):
- Make sure you have introduced each food separately and checked for allergies before trying any porridge recipe.
- Always check with your pediatrician before giving any food.
- Avoid salt and any sugar at least till one year.
Can I give porridge to my toddler( 15 month old) evening?
Yes you can give porridges in the evening. But make sure you include other family foods as well in your toddlers menu.
What can be given on daily basis so baby
Is not constipated and poops daily ?
how old is your baby?
some ideas for 9 month old here: https://gkfooddiary.com/9-months-baby-food-chart/
Dry Dates and chouhare same hai kya ?
yes the same
Hi my baby is 7 months old he ll pooping frequently whatever I feed him for next few mins he ll poop that's the reason he is not putting his weight too. Plz let me know Wat to do???
Do not worry about poop if it is not watery and the baby is active. Its normal after introducing solid food as the baby' tummy is immature. Soon it will change.
Can u suggest some Porridges for 5 months old baby ??
solid food is recommended from 6 months
No solid before 6 month
Hi, my elder so is 2 years old, he is very fùsy in eating, he do not eat daal or ay kind of vegetables. He likes to eat chapati without dal or any veg. What to do n how to make him start eating everything.
Each baby is different, and they meet their milestone in their phase. So don't worry much. Encourage self-feeding and Try soft finger foods like banana, steamed tiny cut carrots, peas, potato, pasta, paneer, boiled egg etc..patience is a key..sure the kid will grow out of it soon. Check out some finger food recipes here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uSRFJSGNok&list=PLmmmsKso8Fs8MKSB9BI4MshdcEh_u_bLz
Can you share some receipts for 15months old toddler
I meant recipes
check here: https://gkfooddiary.com/12-18-months-baby-food-chart/