Rice porridge/Rice cereal/arisi kanji is an ideal first food for babies after they completed 6 months as it is easily digestible & less likely to cause allergic reactions. When you introduce this rice porridge to your baby, it is advisable to give it in a diluted form. Once your baby is adjusted with it, you could give slightly thick. Refer to the notes section given at the end of the post for more information on the points to remember before preparing this rice porridge recipe for babies.
Rice porridge is the first food I gave my baby after she completed 6 months. After she is comfortable with this rice porridge, I offered her ragi porridge. She prefers ragi porridge over rice porridge. But she had this rice porridge without any complaints when she is really hungry. Here is how to make a homemade rice porridge recipe for babies.
Rice Porridge Recipe for Babies | Home made Rice Cereal -Arisi Kanji|Baby food
- Parboiled rice - 2 tablespoon or
- homemade rice cereal - 2 tsp
- Water - 1.25 to 1.5 cups
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Take 2 tablespoon of rice and wash it well. Dry it under the sun or shade for 1 hour or until the rice dried completely. Skip this step if using homemade rice cereal.
- Take the dried rice in a saucepan and dry roast in low flame until it is light and little puffy. Switch off the flame. Skip this step if using homemade rice cereal.
- Grind the rice in a mixer to a little coarse powder. This is a rice porridge powder and you could make this powder with ½ cup rice for a week and store it in an airtight container. Check the preparation of homemade cereal here. Skip this step if using homemade rice cereal.
- Now take the freshly powdered rice or take 2 teaspoon of homemade rice cereal in the same saucepan and add 1 cup of water to it. Mix well with a whisk. Make sure that no lumps are formed. Cook the rice in low flame for 5 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked. Once the rice is cooked it will be in sauce consistency. Let it cool down and feed your baby warm.
- Generally, rice doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Increase the water quantity to 1.5 cups to 2 cups and make the porridge watery and thin when you are introducing this porridge to your baby.
- You could make the rice porridge powder in advance with ½ cup of rice and store it in an airtight container. Check the preparation here. Use it whenever required. check the preparation here
- Salt or sugar is not advisable for babies under one year.
- This rice porridge will become thick after cooling down, so switch off the flame accordingly. Adjust with warm water if it becomes too thick.
At what age should rice be introduced to the baby? Does rice cause gas or bloating?
Rice can be introduced to babies from 6 months and it's easily digestible. It won't cause gas or bloating in most of the babies.
Can I use brown rice instead of white rice. Is it easier to digest.. I am smashing the boiled rice in milk and water and feeding my child.
How old is your baby
Wow!! This recipe is too good. My 8 months baby was never eating rice property because it was not smooth in texture. But now she is liking it so much. I am feeding her rice with ghee and something rice with moong Dal porridge. Thank you so much gkfood diary 🙂 🙂
Thank you for your positive feedback! Glad your baby likes it.
Can we use any other types of rice like basmati, brown, etc. Or we need to use only parboiled rice?
Yes you can use any type of rice. But make sure the rice you use is your staple and easily digestible
Hi, is parbolied rice better than sona masoori for babies when it comes to easy digestibility? I have been using sona masoori rice for my baby and he seems to have a reaction. Now I’m trying to switch to par bolied rice and see if that will help. What is your personal preferance?
In our family, we always eat parboiled rice for lunch, and yes it is easily digestible.
How many times in a day is advisable for 6+month baby...sooji or rice which one is better n won't create any tummy issue?
only one meal a day should be sufficient for a 6 months baby..both rice and sooji are easily digestible..
nice recipe...can u specify which type of parboiled rice have u used for this porridge....is it par boiled ponni rice?
i used ponni parboiled rice which we use for lunch everyday
Super thanks dear..This website is really good and very useful for every moms.
Couple of doubt
Can we use kerala matta rice for seven months old baby. Also is there any link for what has to be given when baby is sick with cold and fever.
Thanks for your feedback 🙂
1. Yes, it can be given if it is your staple. otherwise, start after one year.
2. Here is the list of foods to offer during cold and cough in babies: https://gkfooddiary.com/foods-to-offer-during-cold-cough-in-baby-toddler-and-kids/
Thanks for the recipe. Can we add fruits or vegetables or dal for taste for my 7month baby, because she like cerelac over rice porridge
yes, you can add fruits or vegetable puree and even plain cooked dal.
I tried this for my baby and I find the porridge quite grainy and coarse and isn’t smooth . So my baby finds it difficult to swallow.
Pls help me out with this. What could have gone wrong?
Try to grind the rice powder smooth next time if your baby doesn't like the grainy texture.
My son refuses to eat this. Is there anything that can be added to it?
Try adding apple, banana or carrot puree. If it is still a problem, try khichdi with rice.
My baby loved this porridge.I don’t understand that when I give her cooked mashed rice she doesn’t like it but this one she enjoys eating.
Since, I give this in mid morning to my 9 month old baby girl should I give rice dal khichadi for lunch or change it to daliya Mix dal instead.
I was little confused so thought to take your help!
Also, your blog has been of great help in this new mommy baby journey of mine.
Hi. Glad you found our website useful. You can give alternate between rice and dalia when giving khichdi. check out nine months baby food chart for more ideas: https://gkfooddiary.com/9-months-baby-food-chart/
I can I use formula instead of water
yes but don't cook formula
Can I use formula milk instead of water
yes but don't cook formula milk
Can I use breast milk with water in this recipe? And should I add ghee??
yes you can use breast milk and ghee
We use basmati rice in our staple diet. Should I parboil it or just roast it like you mentioned??
just roast basmati rice and use
Thank you for all the recipes. Great help.
I am in the midst of cooking this and was reading the comments. I am making this porridge with Kerala Matta rice. It's kind of our staple food but we also eat Sona masoori often. So is this advisable for a 6 month old?
Thank you ?
yes, you can choose any rice staple in your family.
Hello , I am trying to feed my baby this but she is unable to swallow so I grind the after cooked mixture to get smooth consistency , is that ok?