Rice porridge/Rice cereal/arisi kanji is a ideal first food for babies after they completed 6 months as it is easily digestible & less likely to cause allergic reactions. When you introduce this rice porridge to your baby, it is advisable to give it in a diluted form. Once your baby is adjusted with it, you could give slightly thick. Refer to notes section given at the end of post for more information on the points to remember before preparing this rice porridge recipe for babies.
Rice porridge is the first food i gave my baby after she completed 6 months. After she is comfortable with this rice porridge, I offered her ragi porridge. She prefers ragi porridge over rice porridge. But she had this rice porridge without any complaints when she is really hungry. Here is how to make homemade rice porridge recipe for babies.
- Parboiled rice - 2 tbsp or
- homemade rice cereal - 2 tsp
- Water - 1.25 to 1.5 cups
- Sterilise the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Take 2 tbsp of rice and wash it well. Dry it under the sun or shade for 1 hour or until the rice dried completely. Skip this step if using homemade rice cereal.
- Take the dried rice in a sauce pan and dry roast in low flame until it is light and little puffy. Switch off the flame.Skip this step if using homemade rice cereal.
- Grind the rice in a mixer to a little coarse powder. This is a rice porridge powder and you could make this powder with ½ cup rice for a week and store it in a air tight container. Check the preparation of homemade cereal here. Skip this step if using homemade rice cereal.
- Now take the freshly powdered rice or take 2 tsp of homemade rice cereal in the same sauce pan and add 1 cup of water to it. Mix well with a whisk. Make sure that no lumps are formed. Cook the rice in low flame for 5 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked. Once the rice is cooked it will be in sauce consistency. Let it cool down and feed your baby warm.
Here is the video recipe for how to make homemade rice cereal for babies
- Generally rice doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Increase the water quantity to 1.5 cups to 2 cups and make the porridge watery and thin when you are introducing this porridge to your baby.
- You could make the rice porridge powder in advance with 1/2 cup of rice and store it in a air tight container. Check the preparation here. Use it whenever required.check the preparation here
- Salt or sugar is not advisable for babies under one year.
- This rice porridge will become thick after cooling down, so switch off the flame accordingly. Adjust with warm water if it becomes too thick.