Ragi is rich in calcium and iron. It makes the best food for babies next to rice. Make this porridge watery without adding cows milk and feed your baby when you are introducing. Once your baby is adjusted to ragi, then make it thick and feed. Add cows milk to this porridge after your baby completes one year.
Ragi porridge is the solid food I have given my baby next to rice porridge when she completed her 6 months. She liked it a lot and kept asking for more. Also, check my Porridge recipe collections for 6 month plus Babies
- Homemade ragi flour / Organic Ragi flour - 2 tbsp
- Powdered jaggery - 1.5 tbsp (optional)
- Water - ¼ cup + ¼ cup
- Cows milk - 1 cup ( don't add for babies under one year )
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Boil cows milk in a saucepan and keep it ready.
- Take 2 tbsp of ragi flour in a saucepan. Add ¼ cup of water to the powdered jaggery and boil in a separate vessel until it melts completely.
- Then filter out the jaggery water using a strainer in the sauce pan with ragi flour added. Add ¼ cup of water to the sauce pan and mix everything slowly with a whisk. Make sure that there are no lumps formed.
- Cook the ragi flour mix in medium flame until the porridge turns into dark brown in color and shiny. Stir it continuously while cooking otherwise porridge may stick to the vessel. Add a cup of milk now to the cooked ragi. (Skip adding milk if you are preparing this porridge for a baby under one year ).
- Boil the porridge until it becomes thick. Remove from the flame once done and cool it down. The porridge becomes thick after cooling down. So switch off the flame accordingly.
4. Boil the porridge until it becomes thick. Remove from the flame once done and cool it down. The porridge becomes thick after cooling down. So switch off the flame accordingly.
Healthy ragi porridge is ready to feed your baby.
- Skip cows milk if your baby is under a year old.
- Generally, ragi doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- I use 24 mantra organic jaggery powder for my baby porridges.
- Increase the water quantity to 1 cup and make the porridge watery when you are introducing this porridge to your baby.
- Offer this porridge plain when you start. Try to avoid jaggery/ palm sugar/ palm jaggery or any kind of sweetener at least till one year or Add very little amount than mentioned or prefer sweet tasting fruits/vegetables like apple, banana, carrot etc or dry fruits like dates or raisins.
- You can use Palm sugar(karuppati) or jaggery after 1 year. I used Organic Jaggery Powder.