Broken wheat/cracked wheat/samba gothumai rava is rich in calcium, vitamins carbohydrates, and iron. It is a filling food for babies and keeps them satisfied for long hours. Add cows milk to this porridge after your baby completes one year.
I have given this broken wheat porridge to my baby next to wheat porridge around her 9th month. To my surprise, she liked this healthy porridge. It is a bit time-consuming process to cook this porridge compared to other porridge's, but worth every bit of it. I don't prefer to add sugar in my baby food and hence used jaggery and dates as a sweetener. You can even use Palm sugar(karuppati) instead of jaggery. Also, check my Porridge recipe collections for six month plus Babies
Broken Wheat Porridge Recipe for Babies | Dalia Porridge for Babies
- Broken Wheat - 2 tbsp
- Dates - 2
- Almonds - 4
- Powdered jaggery - 1.5 tbsp optional
- Water - ¼ cup + ¾ cup
- Cows milk - ½ cup don't add for babies under one year
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Boil cows milk (if using) in a saucepan and keeps it ready.
- Soak almonds in water for at least 2 to 3 hours. After 3 hours, peel the skin of almonds and set aside. De-seed the dates and keep it ready.
- Take 2 tablespoon of broken wheat in a pressure cooker along with de-seeded dates, peeled almonds. Add ¾ cup of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Pressure cook it for three whistles and open the cooker once the pressure released.
- Add ¼ cup of water to the powdered jaggery and boil in a separate vessel until it melts completely. Then filter out the jaggery water using a strainer. Set aside. Now take the pressure cooked broken wheat, dates and almonds in a blender along with filtered jaggery water. Blend them until smooth.
- Transfer the blended broken wheat into a saucepan and switch on the flame. Add ½ cup of milk (Skip adding milk if you are preparing this porridge for a baby under one year ) to the saucepan and mix everything slowly with a whisk. Boil the porridge in low, medium flame. Stir it continuously while cooking otherwise porridge may stick to the vessel. Boil the porridge until it becomes thick. Remove from the flame once done and cool it down. The porridge becomes thick after cooling down. So switch off the flame accordingly.
Here is the video of how to make broken wheat porridge for baby
- I use fine broken wheat for making this porridge. Soak the cracked wheat for 1 hr and pressure cook if using whole broken wheat.
- Instead of soaking almonds, you can boil them in hot water for 5 minutes and peel the skin once cooled down.
- Skip cows milk if your baby is under a year old.
- Generally, broken wheat doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- I use 24 mantras organic jaggery powder for my baby porridges.
- Increase the water quantity to 1 cup and make the porridge watery when you are introducing this porridge to your baby.
- Offer this porridge plain when you start. Try to avoid jaggery/ palm sugar/ palm jaggery or any sweetener at least till one year, Add minimal amount than mentioned or prefer sweet tasting fruits/vegetables like apple, banana, carrot, etc. or dry fruits like dates or raisins.
Love the recipe...bt one doubt...does cooking milk nd jaggery together curdle the mixture? Can v tak any precautions for ths?
In this recipe milk wont get curdled. When mixing jaggery with milk either one should be in room temperature, if both are hot chances of curdling is more.
Hi if we are going out we can prepare this recipe and we can take it? For how many hours we can keep it?
yes you can it stays good for 4-5 hours
Can I give this porridge for my 6 months old baby?
general recommendations to introduce wheat is after 8 months...but can try after introducing rice, dal and vegetables ..and if the baby has no tummy troubles..
WIll broken wheat helps in weight gain in babies???
broken wheat helps in weight gain if taken with ghee, milk or nuts..otherwise its rich in dietary fiber which is good for baby's health
Hi mam ...S it necessary to soak overnight for whole broken wheat ?
If using thick or whole broken wheat, soak it overnight for easy cooking. otherwise, it takes more time to cook.
Hi the roasted Dalia available in market is fine to be used ?
Also can we use formula milk here ? Me
Yes, you can use roasted broken wheat. if using formula milk, add it when the porridge is warm and don't cook it further
Mam my baby is of 2 years old. She don't like chewing chapatti or rice.. what should I give her so that she don't stay hungry.. and she is allergic to tomato and chana dal.. she is on border line of weight.. please help
For encouraging chewing habits, encourage self-feeding by offering finger foods. Example: Try finger foods like chopped banana, potato salad, steamed apple, paneer, boiled egg, steamed soft vegetables, etc..dont worry about weight if your child is active and normal, for weight gain include healthy foods like banana, potato, sweet potato, ghee, dry fruits nuts, urad dal, sesame seeds, avocado, raw banana powder, cheese etc...(in any form your baby prefers)
Mam...my doctor said to give jaggery...to my 10 month old baby....so that her weight increases....but you mentioned to avoid Jaggery before one year...can I know why and what should I do...my baby is just 6.4 kg...I m worried
in general, any sugar should be avoided until one year as babies may become sweet-toothed if given early