I always wanted to share baby foods in this space from a long time though I prepare these recipes every day for my 1.5-year-old little girl. Finally, I am ready with a post and hoping to include more baby foods in this blog. I have started oats for my baby after eight months, as suggested by my pediatrician. I feed oats once in a week as my baby won't like the same food every day. Also, she doesn't want to drink any milk other than mothers milk, so I always add cows milk wherever possible in her diet.
This oats porridge is made with oats, banana, and cows milk. My baby loves anything with bananas and hence this porridge too. It tastes yummy and sweet without adding sugar, and it is ideal for babies after one year. The same porridge can be given to babies under one year too but without cows milk. That also tastes equally good.
Homemade Oats Banana Porridge Recipe for Babies | Baby Food
- Quick cooking oats - 2 tbsp
- Banana small variety - 2
- Water - ½ cup
- Cows milk - 1 cup don't add for babies under one year
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same container until use.
- Boil cows milk in a saucepan and keep it ready.
- Take 2 tablespoon of oats in a saucepan and add ½ cup of water to it. Cook it in medium flame for 3 minutes or until the oats get cooked. Stir it continuously while cooking otherwise the oats may stick to the vessel.
- Once the oats get cooked well, add a cup of milk to the cooked oats and boil it for 4 minutes by stirring occasionally or until it becomes thick.
- Remove from the flame once done and cool it down (Skip adding milk if you are preparing the porridge for babies under one year). In the meantime, chop the bananas into a circle and add it to the blender.
- Once the porridge is warm, add it to the blender with chopped bananas. Blend it to a smooth paste. Skip this step if your baby likes mashed texture instead of smooth ones, and you can mash the bananas and mix with cooked oats.
- Skip cows milk if your baby is under a year old.
- Generally, oats don't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- I have separate Philips Avent steamer come blender for preparing baby food. You can use a regular blender too but make sure you don't use the same for grinding spicy masalas.
- Use rolled oats variety if you can source it, which is healthy for babies rather than quick cooking oats.
- Instead of bananas, you could use steamed apples to make this porridge.
can we add jaggery to this oats porridge.. i have already added jaggery to ragi to my lo of 11 months old..
Yes.. But fruits are better choice for a sweetner!
Can v add apple instead of banana?
Yes u can add apple or even pear
My little one hates sweet flavour and does not eat any fruit or fruit puree - what can I do to make him eat oats porridge? He is 8 months old.
Use cocount milk instead of milk.. Add some pepper powder, little garlic, jeera powder .. Follow the same procedure by skipping banana n cow's milk
My son 8 months old likes oats porridge with Apple or banana either. I have been giving quaker oats which we grind to powder at home. Mostly daily evening i given him oats porridge. My questions is can we give quaker oats or not?
You can give oats and any brand. But make sure to buy less processed oats like rolled oats or steel cut oats which are rich in nutrients
My 8months son like oats porridge. Daily evening i m feeding him oats. I m using quaker oats which i grind to powder. With powdered oats i m making oats porridge. My question is can i give quaker oats? My mil keeps on insisting me not to feed oats since it might make my baby slim. Does plain oats porridge or banana oats porridge causes weight loss?
Oats doesn't cause weight loss if taken in moderation. Please go through this article to know more about oats for babies
Can we add formula milk instead of cow n coconut milk for 7 months old baby?
Can we give this oats porridge on a daily basis?? For the last 15 days am giving like that only.my baby also liked to have it too.please suggest whether am going in a correct way or not. Few were telling that oats will reduce the weight gaining... Please suggest....
This oats porridge can be given 3-4 times a week. oats wont cause weight loss if taken along with whole milk, banana and nuts etc...Read more about oats here:
My 8 month old baby is having cold .. shell I give mashed banana to him? I heard bananas will cause cold and cough . Can give barely water and ghee along with rice?
you can give steamed nendran banana..barley water you can give little amount if you have introduced it already and baby have no allergies to it...Some more food options to give during cold:
Please suggest me the brand of the oats ...which oats are better..i dont know the varieties in oats
Read here about oats varieties and more information on oats here:
Hi, did you use the Philips Avent Blender Steamer to blend the oats after cooking? Was it able to blend well since it was sticky?
Yes I did use Philips Avent Blender Steamer and it blends smooth..
Which food is best for 13 months baby?
You can start giving all family foods wit less spices. Some recipe ideas for toddlers here: https://gkfooddiary.com/toddler-food-recipes/
Hi. My baby is 16 months she eat ots. It is healthy and weight gain food or not
oats is full of fiber and can be given in moderation to kids.,say 3-4 times a week..include other healthy grains as well
Hi can this be used over a couple of days stored in the fridge and can this be frozen and if so, what’s the best way to defrost after being frozen. Thanks Fran
I never tried freezing this oatmeal. Couldn't help. Sorry.
Hi, thanks for the recipe. For how many hours would this mix of oats and banana last , say, if we are travelling or the baby takes it to the daycare.
Oats banana porridge Stays good for 6-8 hours. But Banana turns brown faster if you store this for a long time, to avoid browning, you can add orange juice or lemon juice when the porridge is cooled down, Store in an airtight container!
I love the recipe, can't wait to try it! I just want to ask if i can store it in a food flask? If so how long? Love your posts?
yes stays good for 24 hours