Sabudana porridge recipe – is a weight gaining & energy boosting porridge recipe made with Sabudana/sago/javvarisi and water or milk. This sabudana porridge is best to offer during diarrhea or loose motion as it gives instant energy. It is also ideal for small babies from 6 months as a weight gaining food but it should be given once in a while as sabudana has no important nutrition. When you introduce this porridge to your baby, you can strain the sabudana pearls and offer the water alone or you can blend the porridge in a mixer or blender.
Sabudana Porridge Recipe for Babies and Toddlers |Sago Porridge
- Sabudana/Sago - ¼ cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Breastmilk/ Formula Milk/ Boiled Milk/Cocount Milk - ½ cup
- Brown Sugar/Dates syrup/ Jaggery Syrup- 2 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp optional
- Soak sabudana in water for 15 mins to few hours. Soaking time depends on the sabudana variety.
- Then wash the sabudana well in running water and drain the water. In a saucepan , take the drained sago and add required water.
- Cook in low flame until sabudana becomes transparent. Once sabudana is cooked, it becomes light. Add sweetner and ghee at this stage and mix well until the sweetner dissolves.
- Add boiled milk now to the cooked sabudana and mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes until the milk thickens. Keep in low flame in order to avoid curdling. Switch off the flame once done. If using breast milk or formula , Switch off the porridge at the previous step and add breast milk or formula once the porridge is warm.
Here is the video of how to make sabudana porridge for baby
- If you prepare this sabudana porridge for a sick child, avoid milk,ghee and sweetener.
- Avoid cow's milk for babies below one year and use coconut milk/breast milk or formula milk instead.
- Simmer and cook until the porridge gets thickens to avoid milk from curdling.
- Keep stirring constantly to avoid the pearls sticking at the bottom.
- Soaking time purely depends on the sabudana variety used.
- This sabudana porridge thickens with time, switch off the flame accordingly. Adjust with warm water or milk if it is too thick.
- Offer this porridge plain to your baby when you start. Try to avoid jaggery/ palm sugar/ palm jaggery or any kind of sweetener at least till one year, Add very little amount than mentioned or prefer sweet tasting fruits/vegetables like apple, banana, carrot etc or dry fruits like dates or raisins.