Sooji Porridge - instant porridge recipe made with homemade Sooji cereal. As mentioned in my previous post, here is the detailed steps to make instant porridge using sooji cereal. You can make this instant porridge with hot water alone during travels. For regular days you can prefer cooking this for sometime in stove top. This sooji porridge recipe can be given to babies from 6 months. This porridge tastes bland hence add jaggery syrup, dates syrup, or fruit purees like apple or pear to enhance the taste. For babies above one year, you can make this sooji with cow's milk (instead of water) and sugar/jaggery syrup! Tastes so good!
Here is how to make instant sooji porridge recipe for babies.
Instant Sooji Porridge Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
Sooji Porridge - Instant porridge recipe with homemade sooji cereal. Ideal during travel.
- Homemade Sooji Cereal - 2 tbsp
- Hot Water - 1 cup
- Ghee -½ tsp
- Breast milk/Formula Milk/Cows milk - ½ cup
- Dates syrup/any sweetener/fruit puree - 1-2 tbsp optional
- Take required hot boiled water in a bowl or sauce pan. Add sooji little by little to the hot water.
- Stir in continuously well with a spoon or whisk. Make sure there are no lumps remained. Now close this with a lid and keep it undisturbed. You can also Cook it further for 3-5 minutes in low medium flame. Then Add sweetener at this stage. Give a quick stir.
- Add ghee and milk. Mix well and serve. If adding cows milk make sure to add boiled milk. Cook it further for few minutes if desired and switch off the flame.
Tried this recipe?Mention @gkfooddiary or tag #gkfooddiary!
1. Take required hot boiled water in a bowl or sauce pan. Add sooji little by little to the hot water.
2. Stir in continuously well with a spoon or whisk. Make sure there are no lumps remained. Now close this with a lid and keep it undisturbed. You can also Cook it further for 3-5 minutes in low medium flame. Then Add sweetener at this stage. Give a quick stir.
3. Add ghee and milk. Mix well and serve. If adding cows milk make sure to add boiled milk. Cook it further for few minutes if desired and switch off the flame.
The instant sooji porridge is ready!
- Prefer no cooking method only during travels or emergencies, for regular days make sure to cook the porridge and feed your baby.
- Add sooji to hot water little by little, don't add all at once. Keep stirring until porridge consistency is reached.
- Adjust water or milk accordingly to reach the desired consistency.
- You could make this porridge with only water or milk or the combination of milk and water. Its purely your preference.
- Skip sweetener for babies below one year. Use fruit puree, mashed sweet potatoes, dates syrup or raisins paste (soak raisins overnight and make a paste with little water using a blender and add it)
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
Am glad that i came across this website. But my baby is 22 months old who will have porridge only with curd & salt not with any other milk or sweetener. I wonder can I give the instant porridge which ever you have posted with curd & salt. Please advise.
yes you can try..or try upma with sooji..you can also try other recipes from our website to see how your baby like it.
My daughter is 8 month old. Can I add formula instead of breast milk or cow milk into this porridge? Because I didn't tried it before . Ididnt expressed breast milk before and not tried formula
Sure you can! Prepare formula milk separately, add it when the porridge is warm...
Can we keep this porridge in fridge and use it for nect two days?
It may stay good for 24-48 hours in the fridge. I would recommend finishing within 24 hours.
My baby is 7months old how to introduce him first . Can you please guide me food chart
Start with veg or fruit purees. Slowly move to soft mashed foods by a month or so. Banana, apple, carrot, pumpkin are great first foods. Next chikku, papaya, beets, bottle gourd, rice porridge, ragi porridge, etc. one meal a day will do as of now. Avoid salt, sugar, and honey until one year. For more healthy baby food options check this link: https://gkfooddiary.com/homemade-baby-food-recipes-easy-indian/
For the complete information on solids and month wise food charts check here:
Do let me know if any questions.
If jaggery is not required so can we add misri in sooji porridge
Avoid any sweetener at least one year. add dry fruits paste or fruits puree if required
Can i add roasted sooji to my baby’s milk bottle and give it to her like that? Or is it necessary to cook ot like the instructions given?
it needs to be cooked