Poha Porridge – healthy porridge recipe made with homemade poha cereal mix which has poha/ flattened rice/beaten rice, roasted gram dal, and nuts. As mentioned in my previous post, this porridge can be prepared by just mixing with hot water during emergencies or travel, but here I have given detailed steps to make porridge using the poha cereal mix for regular days.
This poha porridge recipe can be given to babies from 7 months. This porridge tastes good even plain without adding any additional sweetener or salt. But you can add any fruit puree, dates syrup or raisins paste to enhance the taste. For babies above one year, you can make this poha porridge with milk (instead of water) and sugar/jaggery syrup! Tastes yum! Here is how to make healthy poha porridge recipe for babies and toddlers.
Poha Porridge Recipe for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
- Homemade Poha Cereal Mix - 2 tbsp
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Jaggery - 1-2 tbsp optional
- Salt - a pinch optional
- Ghee - 1/2 Tsp
- Heat jaggery in a pan with water till it immersing level. Switch off the flame once slight honey like consistency is reached. Strain the jaggery water using a filter to remove impurities. This step is completely optional.
- Take 2 tbsp of poha cereal mix in a saucepan. Add 3/4 cup of water and mix well with a whisk. Make sure there are no lumps remained.
- Cook the porridge for 5 minutes until it becomes slightly thick. Now Add ghee and jaggery syrup/salt at this stage. Give a quick stir.
- Cook it further for 2 minutes and switch off the flame. Cool it down and serve warm.
1. Heat jaggery in a pan with water till it immersing level.Switch off the flame once slight honey like consistency is reached. Strain the jaggery water using a strainer to remove impurities. This step is completely optional.
- If the porridge becomes too thick, add boiled water/formula or breast-milk to adjust the consistency while feeding.
- You could also use 3/4 cup of boiled cows milk instead of water for babies above one year.
- Skip jaggery or salt for babies below one year. Instead, use dates syrup or raisins paste (soak raisins overnight and make a paste with little water using a blender and add it)
- Make sure to introduce each ingredient separate before you try this poha porridge.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.