Poha Porridge - healthy porridge recipe made with homemade poha cereal mix which has poha/ flattened rice/beaten rice, roasted gram dal, and nuts. As mentioned in my previous post, this porridge can be prepared by just mixing with hot water during emergencies or travel, but here I have given detailed steps to make porridge using the poha cereal mix for regular days.
This poha porridge recipe can be given to babies from 7 months. This porridge tastes good even plain without adding any additional sweetener or salt. But you can add any fruit puree, dates syrup or raisins paste to enhance the taste. For babies above one year, you can make this poha porridge with milk (instead of water) and sugar/jaggery syrup! Tastes yum! Here is how to make healthy poha porridge recipe for babies and toddlers.
Poha Porridge Recipe for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
- Homemade Poha Cereal Mix - 2 tbsp
- Water - ¾ cup
- Jaggery - 1-2 tbsp optional
- Salt - a pinch optional
- Ghee - ½ Tsp
- Heat jaggery in a pan with water till it immersing level. Switch off the flame once slight honey like consistency is reached. Strain the jaggery water using a filter to remove impurities. This step is completely optional.
- Take 2 tablespoon of poha cereal mix in a saucepan. Add ¾ cup of water and mix well with a whisk. Make sure there are no lumps remained.
- Cook the porridge for 5 minutes until it becomes slightly thick. Now Add ghee and jaggery syrup/salt at this stage. Give a quick stir.
- Cook it further for 2 minutes and switch off the flame. Cool it down and serve warm.
1. Heat jaggery in a pan with water till it immersing level.Switch off the flame once slight honey like consistency is reached. Strain the jaggery water using a strainer to remove impurities. This step is completely optional.
- If the porridge becomes too thick, add boiled water/formula or breast-milk to adjust the consistency while feeding.
- You could also use ¾ cup of boiled cows milk instead of water for babies above one year.
- Skip jaggery or salt for babies below one year. Instead, use dates syrup or raisins paste (soak raisins overnight and make a paste with little water using a blender and add it)
- Make sure to introduce each ingredient separate before you try this poha porridge.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
Nice recipies it helps me alot thank u
Thank you:) Glad it helped!
Hi ma'am. Can we use red Poha instead of white? Or the white one to be introduced first? Please advise
White ones are easily digestible compared to red ones. Hence it's advisable to introduce white ones first.
Do we have to wash Poha before roasting
no need to wash..just pick and remove stones/husk if any...
What is poha ? mam!
poha is flattened rice or pressed rice
nice recipe...would like to kno whether there is any specifications on the number of times a week this cereal can be served to baby (7 month)....
3-4 times a week should be good
How can you use this during travel - is there a no cook method too?
you can make a porridge with hot water, check the method of preparation here: https://youtu.be/zeMeAws9JY4
Is given at evening time for babies
How much time can I keep and feed porridge after preparation ?
2-3 hours in room temp, 24 hours in the refrigerator .i would suggest giving it fresh for babies
How many months can I keep this powdered porridge?
powder or porridge?
Hi 3/4 cup means how much ml of water?
approximately 175 ml