Poha/beaten rice/flattened rice is an excellent food for babies as its rich in iron , wholesome and easily digestible. This poha cereal mix also has roasted gram dal and nuts, hence its loaded with protein which helps in healthy weight gain for babies and kids. You can give this poha cereal mix to your baby after 7 months (skip nuts while introducing and add nuts to this mix only after introducing each nuts separate, preferably after 8 months)
Ways to use this poha cereal mix powder for babies, toddlers and kids
- You can make instant porridge for your baby during travel, check the method of preparation given below in the next paragraph.
- Make porridge with water or milk. Check the detailed recipe for making porridge with this poha cereal mix here.
- Add ghee, powdered jaggery to this poha cereal mix and make ladoos. Refer this poha ladoo recipe and just replace poha with this poha cereal mix.
- For babies above one year, you can just mix this powder with sugar/powdered jaggery and give as a snack. It tastes excellent!
- Mix with hot milk and offer as breakfast cereal. Sure a healthy alternative to store bought corn flakes!
How to use this poha cereal mix powder during travel?
- In case of emergencies or during travel, you could use this powder without cooking, add 2-3 teaspoon of this powder in a bowl and add ½ cup of hot water/ boiled cow's milk(for babies above one year) to it.
- Close it with a lid and keep it undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open it, mix well and feed your baby. You could also add dates syrup, any fruit puree or mashed fruits to make it more tasty!
Now lets get onto check how to make poha cereal mix recipe for babies, toddlers and kids.
Poha Cereal Powder Recipe for Babies and Toddlers | Instant Cerelac for Baby
Homemade Poha Cereal Mix - poha cereal made with poha/beaten rice/flattened rice, roasted gram dal and nuts.
- Thick poha - 1 cup
- Roasted Gram Dal - ¼ cup
- Almonds - ⅛ cup
- Cashews - ⅛ cup
- Green Cardamom - 1
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Take poha and check specks if any. Then dry roast the poha in low flame for 3-5 minutes until nice aroma comes and its crispy. Remove from the pan once done.
- In the same pan, take roasted gram dal and dry roast in low flame until it is hot to touch. Remove from the pan once done. Then add almonds and cashews together along with cardamom, dry roast it for a minute. Switch off the flame once done.
- Firstly take the dry roasted poha in a blender/mixer. Grind the poha to a smooth powder. Transfer it to a plate and cool it down.
- Then take the roasted gram dal in the blender and grind it to a smooth powder. Transfer it to a plate and cool it down.
- Now take the roasted nuts in a blender. Run the mixie for 10 seconds. Repeat grinding until you get a fine powder. Don't run the mixie for more than 10 seconds at a time otherwise the nuts may leave oil and the mixture becomes moisturized.
- Mix all the ground powders together and sieve it using a siever.
- After sieving the powder, cool it down completely and store it in an air tight container.
Tried this recipe?Mention @gkfooddiary or tag #gkfooddiary!
Here is the video for how to make Poha Cereal Mix for babies
1. Keep all the ingredients ready. Take poha and check specks if any. Then dry roast the poha in low flame for 3-5 minutes until nice aroma comes and its crispy. Remove from the pan once done.
2. In the same pan, take roasted gram dal and dry roast in low flame until it is hot to touch. Remove from the pan once done. Then add almonds and cashews together along with cardamom, dry roast it for a minute. Switch off the flame once done.
3. Firstly take the dry roasted poha in a blender/mixer. Grind the poha to a smooth powder. Transfer it to a plate and cool it down.
4. Then take the roasted gram dal in the blender and grind it to a smooth powder. Transfer it to a plate and cool it down.
5. Now take the roasted nuts in a blender. Run the mixie for 10 seconds. Repeat grinding until you get a fine powder. Don't run the mixie for more than 10 seconds at a time otherwise the nuts may leave oil and the mixture becomes moisturized.
6. Mix all the ground powders together and sieve well using a sieve.
7. After sieving the powder, cool it down completely and store it in an air tight container.
Healthy homemade poha cereal mix is ready!
- This poha powder keeps well for a month if handled properly.
- Sieve the powder well to get a fine powder.
- While grinding nuts, don't run the mixie for more than 10 seconds at a time otherwise the nuts may leave oil and the mixture becomes moisturized.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredient separate before you try this poha cereal to your baby.
- Generally poha doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- The same recipe can be prepared with red poha too and in that case choose thin poha and roast it well!
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
Roasted gram dal means bhuna hua chana?
Yes it is bhuna chana
If put in a air tight container n put in the refrigerator will it last longer...or should i juz leave it out....
The poha powder should be stored in an airtight container. You can keep it in refrigerator if the weather is too hot
This is the fourth healthy mix powder I m using from your blog..your blog is so informative. To use this powder during travel,you have mentioned 2 TSP powder for 1 cup water.is this one cup or half a cup water?
Quantity depends on the poha and consistency you want . You can start with 1/2 cup of water. If needed you can add more
Can I use this mix to my 7months baby boy?if s ..can plz tell me the quantity also
yes you can give for 7 months baby.. Quantity is 2 tbsp per day
Your recepies are too good for kids my son 1 year old likes to eat especially health mix powders I tried most all comes out well. PL keep posting healthy recepies for elder kids around 10 years old as they need nutrition food They like most junk food it's too hard to avoid them.
Sure will do. Thanks for your kind words!
Hi.. Do we need to wash the poha before roasting? Can we use it without washing?
No need to wash poha. just check for specks if any
Should we add jaggery for sweetness? Generally we add jaggery for all porridges for my baby ,otherwise he won't eat . MIL says if no taste how can a baby eat ?
For babies above one year, you can use little jaggery or palm sugar. Most of the Babies love porridges without sweetener. Don't worry.
I made this poha cereal for our 3 days travel and my 8 month old baby loved it. It helped me to feed my baby in our road trip.Thanks a lot 🙂
Thanks, Preetha for sharing positive feedback:) Glad your baby likes it!
I am a frequent reader of your blog.
The recipes posted by you, is very informative and healthy as well. I have made the cereal powders given from your recipes. My seven month old son likes it very much.
Thank you so much.
Thanks a lot for taking time and writing feedback. I am glad your little baby like the cereals.
I just love all ur recipes and my 10 month old baby
Too. Thank u sooo much for taking ur precious time and sharing all ur recipes. It’s a great help for all d mothers I guess. Looking forward for more delicious and nutritious recipes. Tc
thank you so much
Sneha Shinde Shikare
Hey Can I use moong daal instead of Chana daal as I haven't introduced chana daal yet to my 8 months baby?
You can skip roasted chana dal.
Can I feed this when my baby have cough n cold?
yes, no harm.
Hi I’m going to do long air travel what other powder mix can I prepare for the baby besides this,he is months at the moment
how old is your baby?
hi can i give almond, gram dhal and cashew for my 7months baby?
it is better to introduce each separate and add it to this recipe if no allergies
Hi is this recipe suitable for 6 months baby?
U have told to skip all nuts does this include gram dal as well?
ideal for 7 months+ babies. gram dal can be added
This has become my son’s favourite cereal for breakfast. Have tried the wheat mix and rice with moong dal too.
It’s super easy to cook and healthy too.
Thanks very much for helping working moms to prepare quick homemade food for kids! We feel less guilty ?
Pls keep the New recipes coming in —
Nice. glad to know 🙂
Hy..shall v prepared Poha cereal vitout any brown sugar/jaggery?