Whole Wheat Almond Cookies- easy, quick, tasty and healthy cookie/biscuit recipe made with whole wheat flour & Almonds. After making oats chocolate chip cookies , I got little confidence about making cookies and thought I should give whole wheat biscuits a try once and to my surprise it came out so tasty and perfect:) This whole wheat almond cookies can be given to kids from one year and makes a good snack for kids after school or during travel. I am very much confident that Kids will sure love as it tastes so delicious and a better alternative to store bought biscuits!
- Whole Wheat Flour - ¾ cup
- Almonds - ¼ cup
- Baking Powder- ¼ tsp
- Palm sugar/ Brown Sugar - ½ cup
- Cardamom powder or Vanilla Essence - ½ tsp
- Butter - ½ cup or 1 butter stick or 113 gms
- Boiled Milk - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Salt -a tiny pinch
- Whole Almonds - 8 for garnishing
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready. Also preheat the oven to 180 deg C for 10 minutes. Take ¼ cup of almonds in a blender and grind it to a slightly coarse or fine powder.
- In a mixing bowl, take the grounded almonds flour and add ¾ cup of wheat flour, salt and baking powder to it. Mix well.
- Then take the butter in a vessel. Let it come to a room temperature. Then add brown sugar to it. if using palm sugar grind it to a fine powder and add here. Mix well until the sugar is completely melted.
- Then add brown sugar to it. Mix well until the sugar is completely melted. Now add the boiled milk and mix it once again.
- Add this butter sugar mix along with vannila essence or cardamom powder to the dry ingredients and start to mix the dough with your hands gently until you get the soft dough consistency.. Add 1 to 2 tbsp of milk if required, I have not added any milk as the dough was soft with butter.
- Once the soft dough consistency is reached, keep the cookie dough in refrigerator for 20 mins. In the meantime, line the cookie tray with a cookie sheet/parchment paper. After 10 mins, take the cookie dough from the refrigerator and start making balls and flatten it using your palms.
- Arrange the cookies, garnish with sliced almonds and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes (baking time depends on the size of the cookies and oven) at 180° C till cookies are browned at the bottom. Allow to cool in tray for 5 minutes and serve the cookies.
2. In a mixing bowl, take the grounded almonds flour and add 3/4 cup of wheat flour, salt and baking powder to it. Mix well.
- Adjust with milk while kneading the dough to reach the soft dough consistency.
- If the dough is too sticky, adjust with 1 tbsp of wheat flour.
- The cookies stays well for a week at room temperature if stored in an airtight container.
- Keep an eye on the oven after 13 minutes of baking and check cookies turned brown at the bottom though the cookies may look soft. After cooling down the cookies will turn crunchy.
- Powder the sugar for making the process easy if using palm sugar or regular brown sugar. I used demerara sugar and hence used it as such.
- Mixing and measurements are most important for the perfect cookies.