Phool Makhana is a popular food in India especially during fasting, its also commonly known as lotus seed or fox nuts. Its such a versatile food for babies and kids, ideal as a breakfast cereal or a snack! Phool makhana is produced from puffed lotus seeds after removing the bitter outer membrane. Phool makhana is an excellent soure of protein which makes an light, healthy and easily digestible food for grwoingh kids.
This phool makhana cereal is very easy to prepare at home and you can make a instant porridge anytime with this mix, its really helpful when travelling with infants as it requires no cooking . Read more further on the post about when and how to introduce phool makhana to babies, health benefits and more.
When can I introduce phool makhana to my baby?
Phool makhana is less allergenic and can be included in baby’s diet from 6 months after introducing rice or some basic food. When you introduce, begin with this phool makhana cereal, gradually you can offer roasted makhana as a finger food once the baby started to chew well.
Here are some nutritional benefits of phool makhana:
- It is easily digestible hence its ideal for babies and small children.
- Phool makhana is packed with protein which is highly essential for development in growing kids.
- Completely gluten free and hence less likely to develop allergies.
- High in anti oxidants which helps to prevent major life threatening diseases
- Phool makhana is easily available in markets. check expiry date before buying.
- Store it in an airtight container and use. It stays well for a months.
- Always check for worms before using phool makhana to your baby food
- You can make instant Cerelac for your baby during travel,here is the detailed method of preparation of phool makhana ceralac.
- Add this phool makhana cereal to milk and give as a breakfast cereal to your toddler.
- You can use this phool makhana mix to make kheer.
- Phool Makhana/Puffed Lotus seeds - 1 cup
- cashews - 5
- Cardamom - 1
- Measure phool makhana and cashews. Take and Cut the phool makana into two, check for warms if any.
- Cut and check for all the makhana's. Then dry roast the makhanas in a heavy bottomed pan until it turns crispy.
- Take one roasted makhana, eat one & check whether its crispy and not chewy. Once the makhana is roasted well, remove it form the pan and switch off the flame. In the same pan, add cashews and roast it for 30 seconds. Remove from the pan and cool it down.
- Transfer the roasted phool makhana, roasted cashews and cardamom to a blender/mixer/food processor. Grind them to a smooth powder. Cool it down and store it in an airtight container.
- This phool makhana cereal powder keeps well for 2 months if handled properly.
- Cashews can be replaced with any nuts. Make sure that your baby is not allergic to nuts before adding.
- You can double the ingredients and make the recipe if you want to prepare large quantities.
- Clean the phool makhana properly and remove warms(if any), before roasting.
- Adding cardamom powder to this porridge mix gives nice flavor. you can also add 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds instead of cardamom for a different flavor.
- Store this phool makhana powder in a cool and dry place. Keep it in refrigerator if the temperature is extremely hot.
- You can grind it to a fine or coarse powder as per your preference.
- Generally phool makhana doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.