Makhana or Phool makhana or fox nuts or Euryale feroxis or popped lotus seeds produced from Euryale Fox plant. It is a favorite snack in India and mainly consumed during fasting.
Makhana is a highly nutritious food for baby and kids. It is known for its versatility and can be used to prepare porridge's, snacks, kheer, curry, rice, raita, and more!! Read more on the health benefits of makhana, how and when to introduce makhana to baby and more about makhana with makhana recipes.
When can I introduce Makhana to my baby?
Makhana can be given to babies from 6 months after introducing rice or some basic cereals. When you introduce Makhana to your baby, you can make makhana porridge with homemade makhana porridge mix. Start with this 1 tablespoon of makhana porridge and check whether the baby shows an allergic reaction. Check it for three days, and if the baby is not allergic to it, you can increase the amount gradually.
You can also offer roasted makhana as finger food, once the baby started to chew well. For older kids, makhana can be given in the roasted or fried form.
How to select and store Makhana for Baby Food
- Phool makhana is readily available in markets or online. Check expiry date before buying. Buy organic or reliable brands for the baby if possible.
- Store it in an airtight container in a cool and dry place and use.
- Always check for worms by cutting makhana before to your baby food.
- As with any food, always include makhana in moderation in your child's diet.
Nutrients in Makhana
Here is nutrition information of 100 g makhana
* Source - Wikipedia
Health Benefits of Makhana for Babies
- Makhana is rich in protein. It helps in building muscles in babies and growing kids.
- Gluten-free and hence less likely to develop allergies in babies.
- Makhana is high in antioxidants. It helps to prevent major life-threatening diseases and helps in maintaining good health.
- The high fiber content in makhana helps to prevent constipation in babies and toddlers.
- Makhana has the right amount of calcium. It strengthens the bones, teeth of growing babies and kids.
- Rich in dietary fiber, which helps in preventing constipation in children and ensures easier digestion.
- Makhana is suitable for kidney function, according to Ayurveda.
Makhana Recipes For Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
Homemade Phool makhana Cereal Mix is an instant cereal mix for babies with Phool makhana and roasted cashews. This Phool makhana cereal is very easy to prepare at home, and it is beneficial when traveling with infants as it requires no cooking.
Instant porridge recipe with homemade Phool makhana cereal. Makhana porridge comes handy when traveling with your infant; you can mix it with water or milk and feed your baby whenever required.
Sweet Makhana is prepared with jaggery, which makes a healthy snack for kids. You can make it in bulk and store it in an airtight container and offer your child anytime as a snack.
Roasted Phool Makhana is excellent finger food and a healthy snack for kids. It is addictive that no one can stop with one and tastes no less than store bought chips with the bonus of wholesome goodness.
Phool makhana Kheer is a delicious and healthy kheer or pudding recipe with Phool makhana, milk, and nuts. It is super creamy and thick kheer and the best solution for sudden sweet cravings in kids as it can be prepared quickly.
So, don’t wait. Start including makhana into your baby's menu and enjoy the benefits!