Barley Recipes for Babies - Barley is one of the protein-rich whole-grain cereal but often ignored by many. It is known as 'Jau' in Hindi and can be used to prepare soups, porridge, kheer, khichdi, etc. Barley is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber, which are essential for babies and growing children!
Here are some recipes to add Barley in your baby's menu. Read more to know information about the health benefits of barley, how and when to introduce barley to the baby etc.
When can I introduce Barley to my baby?
Barley can be given to babies from 6 months as it is easily digestible. Homemade Barley Cereal and Barley Porridge is the best way to start barley for your baby. Always feed barley to your baby in moderation as it has excess fiber.
When you introduce barley porridge to your baby, start with 2-3 tablespoon of barley porridge and gradually increase the quantity. Follow three days rule. If your baby does not have any allergies, continue with barley. If your family has a history of hypersensitivity to gluten foods, consult with your baby's pediatrician, and introduce barley to your baby.
How to select and store Barley for Baby Food
- There are two types of barley available in the market: pearl barley or hulled barley.
- Pearl Barley is Less chewy, produced from whole barley after removing the hull and bran. Needs minimal cooking and no soaking required.
- Hulled Barley: Chewy in nature, Minimally Processed and has bran from whole barley. Overnight soaking is recommended and takes at least one hour to cook.
- You can buy barley from grocery stores or online stores like Amazon. Store in an airtight glass container after buying. Keep it in a cool and dry place, away from moisture. Always wash the barley thoroughly before cooking.
Nutrients in Barley
Here is the nutrition information of barley, based on cooked pearled barley (100 g)
Health Benefits of Barley for Babies and Toddlers
- Barley contains more proteins and fiber, which is good for the heart and helps to ease the bowel movements in babies and toddlers and fights constipation.
- Easily digestible, hence, barley is ideal for babies and growing children.
- It is packed with iron, which helps to prevent anemia in babies and toddlers.
- Good source of magnesium and other minerals that improves immune system functioning
- Barley acts as an energy booster during illness in children and even adults.
Barley Recipes for Babies Toddlers, and Kids
Here are some recipes to include the Barley in your child's menu.
1. Barley Water (6 Months+)
Barley water is an excellent weaning food for your baby. You can also give this barley water to your baby as an energy booster when they are sick and down with an illness. Barley water works well for treating fever and diarrhea in babies and kids.
2. Barley Cereal Powder (6 Months+)
Barley cereal powder is a dry powder prepared with barley. It comes handy when you need to make instant barley porridge.
3. Barley Carrot Porridge (6 Months+)
Good porridge recipe for babies and toddlers with homemade barley cereal and carrots. This barley carrot porridge doesn’t require any additional sweetener; the natural sweetness of carrots gives a sweet taste to the porridge.
4. Barley Apple Banana Porridge (6 Months +)
Another Easy and healthy porridge that you can make with homemade barley powder, apple, and banana. This barley apple banana porridge is one easy way to include barley in your baby’s diet as it tastes delicious!
5. Barley Khichdi (6 Months+)
Easy and quick lunch/dinner recipe for babies and toddlers made with barley and moong dal/split green gram. It is ideal for babies from 6 months after introducing barley, and moong dal separately.
6. Barley Kheer (1 Year+)
Easy to make, tasty, and healthy dessert recipe for kids and toddlers with homemade barley flour. As this barley kheer is prepared with ghee, milk, and nuts, it promotes healthy weight gain in toddlers and kids.
Do you have some exciting barley recipes for babies? Let us know by leaving a comment below.
Leave a Reply