Barley Khichdi/ Jau Khichdi: Easy and quick lunch/dinner recipe for babies and toddlers made with barley and moong dal/split green gram. Barley is known for its health benefits, and it should be a part of baby’s diet to ensure proper growth and development.
This barley khichdi is one of the easiest ways to include barley in babies menu and its ideal for babies from 6 months after introducing barley, and moong dal separately.
Check out other barley recipes for babies and toddlers:
- Barley - ¼ cup
- Yellow Moong Dal - 3 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - ¼ tsp
- Salt - as required
- Turmeric Powder - ⅛ Tsp
- water - 1 cup
- Ghee- 1 Tsp
- Wash barley and soak it in water overnight or at least 4 hours. Then in a pressure cooker add a tsp of ghee. Let it melt.
- Then add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Now add the soaked barley after draining the water.
- Now add washed moong dal and turmeric powder.
- Add one cup of water and mix well. Then add salt (for babies above one year).
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker.
- Mash it well with a masher until soft. You can also grind in the blender if you prefer.
Here is the video of how to make barley khichdi for baby and Toddlers
Easy and quick barley khichdi is ready!
- You can alter the ratio of barley and moong dal as per your preference.
- Soaking the barley is very important, don’t skip it.
- Always serve barley khichdi warm. Otherwise, it will become dry.
- I used pearl barley to prepare this khichdi.
- Skip salt for babies below one year.
- Adjust water quantity according to the consistency your baby prefers.
- Make sure to introduce everything separately before you try this khichdi.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.