I promised to post barley porridge when I posted barley dry cereal powder. Barley makes a great baby food because of its texture and it has all nutrients that baby needs. For more healthy benefits of barley and on how to select barley, check here.
Barley Apple Banana Porridge for Babies
- Barley dry cereal powder - 2 tbsp
- Apple - 1 small sized apple
- Banana - 1 small
- Breastmilk or formula - 1/4 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Peel the apple with a peeler. Remove the seeds. Cut banana into slices. Puree the apple & banana using a blender with less water. For blending i use
- Philips Avent Combined Steamer and Blender
- Add 2 tbsp of barley into a saucepan. Then add 1 cup of water to it. Mix it well with a whisk so that no lumps are formed.
- Cook the barley in low medium flame for 10 minutes or until the barley gets cooked completely. Stir it occasionally while cooking otherwise it may stick to the vessel. Once its cooked add pureed apple banana.
- Mix well. Cook it further for 3 more minutes. Switch off the flame when it becomes thick. Cool it down and add breastmilk or formula if desired.
- For small babies, add more water and give as a runny porridge.
- When selecting apples, choose sweet tasting apples. Choose apples that are firm and discoloured. Choose small & sweet tasting banana for making this porridge.
- Make sure to cook barley thoroughly.
- Always consume barley in moderation as it has excess fiber.
- Some sources say barley cause cold in babies. But my baby never got cold when I give her barley.So check with your baby's doctor on this.
- Generally barley doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any. If your family has history of allergy to gluten foods, avoid barley to your baby until 1 year.
- Always check with your paediatrician before introducing any new food.