Apple Rice Porridge- Easily digestible, tasty and healthy porridge recipe for babies and toddlers with homemade rice cereal and apple. This is one easy and tasty porridge for babies, the method of preparation is similar to the usual rice porridge for babies which I have posted already except the addition of apples. It doesn’t require any additional sweetener, the natural sweetness of apple gives a nice taste to the porridge. This apple rice porridge can be given to babies from 6 months.
Now lets get on to check how to make apple rice porridge for babies.
- Homemade Rice Cereal or rice* - 2 tbsp
- Water - 1.25 cups
- Apple - 1 small
- Ghee - ¼ tsp
- * If using rice dry roast, powder and use
- Wash apple in running water well. Peel the skin off from the apple with a peeler. Remove the seeds in the center part after cutting the Apple vertically into two pieces. Then chop them into equal size small cubes.
- Grind the cut apples into a smooth paste without adding any water. Set aside.
- Take the homemade rice cereal in a pan and 1.25 cups of water to it. (If using rice, Dry roast in low flame until the rice is hot to touch and little puffy. Cool it down, Grind it in a mixer to a fine or slightly coarse powder and use)
- Mix well with a whisk. Make sure that no lumps are formed. Cook the rice powder in low flame for 5 to 8 minutes or until it is completely cooked in sauce consistency.
- Once the rice powder is cooked to a sauce consistency, add ground apple puree. Give a quick stir.
- Cook it further for 3-5 minutes, add ghee and mix well. Switch off the flame once done. Let the porridge cool down and feed your baby.
6. Cook it further for 3-5 minutes, add ghee and mix well. Switch off the flame once done. Let the porridge cool down and feed your baby.
- This rice porridge is generally prepared with parboiled rice (puzhungal arisi in Tamil). But you can use any variety of rice which is locally available.
- When selecting apples, choose sweet tasting apples. Gala or red delicious variety tastes sweet.
- This rice porridge will become thick after cooling down, so switch off the flame accordingly. Adjust with warm water or milk while feeding if it becomes too thick.
- Generally rice & apple doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Salt or sugar is not advisable for babies under one year.