Green Gram Porridge is an easy, quick, one-pot savory porridge for babies and toddlers made with a pressure cooker. I have already shared a sweet version of green gram porridge and green gram rice for babies and toddlers.
This green gram porridge is another healthy way to include green gram in your child's diet. It is wholesome and filling that it can be given to babies to babies from 8 months as breakfast or even lunch. The green gram porridge is also suitable for adults, pregnant women, and lactating moms as its easily digestible and loaded with nutrients! Do try this healthy green gram porridge and let me know how your baby and family likes it!
Green Gram Porridge Recipe for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
- Pressure cooker
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 1/4 Cup Green Gram/Pacha Payaru soaked for 2 hrs
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds /Jeerakam
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Ghee
- Salt as needed
- 3 Cup Water
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- Wash and soak green gram for 2 hours. In a pressure cooker, add soaked green gram and washed rice after draining the water.
- Add in garlic and cumin seeds.
- Then add required water and salt as needed. Skip the salt for babies below one year.
- Add in a tsp of ghee at this stage. Then close the lid of a pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for two whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and mash the porridge with a masher slowly. You can also blend the porridge using a blender/mixer instead of smashing it. Add in coconut milk
- Keep it in low flame and boil for 3-5 mins. Switch off the flame once done.
- Soaking a green gram that is necessary for babies to ensure easier digestion.
- For babies above one year, you can even use cows milk instead of coconut milk.
- The porridge becomes thick after cooling down, use warm water or coconut milk to adjust the consistency while serving.
- The green gram porridge can be served with spicy chutney for older kids and adults.
- Any type of rice can be used to prepare this porridge.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.