Urad dal porridge is a healthy porridge prepared with homemade urad dal powder, palm jaggery, and cardamom powder. Urad dal is super healthy food for babies and growing toddlers as it is loaded with an excellent source of essential nutrients and minerals. I have already shared urad dal porridge recipe for babies, but this urad dal porridge is another version prepared with homemade urad dal powder. It can be given to babies from 8 months.
Now Let's check how to make this simple urad dal porridge for babies & toddlers with homemade urad dal flour.
Urad Dal Porridge Recipe for Babies and Toddlers and Kids | Urad Dal Porridge with Homemade Urad Dal Powder
- Homemade Urad Dal Powder - 2 tbsp
- Powdered palm Jaggery or jaggery - 1 tbsp optional
- Water - 1 cup
- Cardamom or dry ginger powder - ⅛ tsp
- Take 2 tablespoon of urad dal powder in a saucepan, add 1 cup of water to it. Mix well with a whisk. It should be in pouring thin buttermilk consistency.
- Cook everything in a low flame for 5 minutes or until the urad dal gets cooked well. Stir it continuously; otherwise, it gets stick to the bottom.
- Once the urad dal is cooked, add powdered palm jaggery and Mix well and cardamom powder.
- Cook further for 3 minutes and the nice aroma comes. Once done, switch off the flame.
- Stir the urad dal porridge continuously while cooking to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Make sure the urad dal is thoroughly cooked, and raw smell leaves.
- You can use any sweetener of your choice. Skip palm jaggery for babies below one year.
- To prevent gas caused by urad dal, always use either cardamom or dry ginger powder.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- This urad dal porridge becomes thick when cooled down. So switch off the flame accordingly. Adjust with warm water or breast milk or formula milk for the desired consistency.