Urad dal is staple in Indian cooking for its health benefits, its rich in iron and protein. This urad dal porridge/ulundhu kanji is a aromatic,very healthy food that helps to gain healthy weight in kids. I am sure it will be a healthy addition to your kids diet!
This Urad dal porridge is a traditional healthy dish made in our family, and given to girls when they attain puberty, as it’s strengthen the uterus. It’s also good for pregnant and lactating mothers. It provides the required nutrition to the growing babies, toddlers and kid too. You can start giving this healthy urad dal porridge to your baby from 8 months and prefer this at least once a week. So what are you waiting for , let’s get on to check the healthy urad dal porridge recipe for babies, toddlers and kids.
Urad Dhal Porridge Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids | Baby Food
- Urad Dal - 2 tbsp
- Rice - 1 tsp optional
- Powdered palm Jaggery or jaggery - 1 tbsp or adjust optional
- Grated Coconut - 2 tsp optional
- Water - as required
- Salt - a pinch optional
- Cardamom - 1
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Rinse urad dal and rice well and soak it in water for at least 30 minutes. Measure jaggery and keep aside. I used organic jaggery without impurities, melt jaggery and strain water if using jaggery with impurities. After 30 minutes, In a mixer grind grind coconut(if using) , soaked urad dal and rice together to a fine paste by adding a cup of water. It should be in pouring thin buttermilk consistency. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, take the urad dal paste and add salt, crushed or powdered cardamom. Mix well. Now cook everything in a low flame for 5 minutes or until the urad dal gets cooked well. Stir it continuously otherwise it gets stick to the bottom. Adjust with water if it's getting too thick.
- Once the urad dal is cooked, add powdered palm jaggery or palm jaggery syrup. Mix well and cook until the porridge consistency is reached and the nice aroma comes. It may take 5 minutes. Once done, add ghee if desired and switch off the flame.
Urad dal porridge recipe video:
2. In a saucepan, take the urad dal paste and add salt, crushed or powdered cardamom. Mix well. Now cook everything in a low flame for 5 minutes or until the urad dal gets cooked well. Stir it continuously otherwise it gets stick to the bottom. Adjust with water if it’s getting too thick.
- Stir it continuously while cooking in order to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Make sure the urad dal is completely cooked and raw smell leaves.
- You can use any sweetener of your choice.
- You can roast the urad dal and powder it, then cook the powder to make this porridge. But using whole urad dal is more healthier.
- Instead of white urad dal, black urad dal can be used to make this porridge.
- Adding rice and coconut is purely optional.
- To prevent gas caused by urad dal, I have added cardamom. U could use a pinch of dry ginger powder too.
- For babies below 1 year, skip salt.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- This urad dal porridge becomes little thick when cooled down. So switch off the flame accordingly.
- Offer this porridge plain when you start. Try to avoid jaggery/ palm sugar/ palm jaggery or any kind of sweetener at least till one year, Add very little amount than mentioned or prefer sweet tasting fruits/vegetables like apple, banana, carrot etc or dry fruits like dates or raisins.