Potato is our family favorite and I take chances to try different varieties with potatoes. I have already posted potato curry a while back and this is another version with coconut. This potato roast is a popular tirunelveli/Nellai recipe and I have learnt it from Amma. Amma make this potato roast often along with tirunelveli sodhi kuzhambu (I will post the recipe soon). It tastes delicious with sodhi kuzhambu and I used to keep asking for more. This potato roast goes well with sambar or rasam too.
Potato Roast Recipe | Nellai Style Urulai Roast | Stir fry Recipes
- Potato - 3 medium sized
- Onion - 1 medium sized or small onions 1/4 cup chopped
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Sambar powder - 1/2 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut Grated - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Small onions - 3
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Take grated coconut, cumin seeds, small onions and add it to the blender. Grind it to a coarse paste by adding little water and keep aside.
- Wash the potatoes in running water twice. Peel the outer layer from potato and cut them into bite size pieces. Set aside. Chop the onions finely and keep it ready.
- Heat a pan with oil and add the items to temper. Once mustard cracks and urad dal turn slight brown, add curry leaves & fry for a minute. Add onions now and saute them until they become transparent.
- Once onions become transparent, add the chopped potato pieces along with red chilli powder, sambar powder and salt. Mix well and fry it in medium low flame for 5 minutes or until the masalas coated well with potato pieces.
- Add 1/2 cup of water or till immersing level and cook covered in medium low flame for 10 minutes or until done. Once the potatoes are cooked, it will be soft.
- Now add the ground coconut paste and give a quick stir. Mix it well and fry for 5 minutes. Once everything comes together, switch off the flame.
2. Wash the potatoes in running water twice. Peel the outer layer from potato and cut them into bite size pieces. Set aside. Chop the onions finely and keep it ready.
- You can pressure cook the potatoes and add it after tempering. But be sure that potatoes don’t turn mushy.
- Do everything in low medium flame in order to avoid the bottom from getting burnt.