Potato is a versatile vegetable loved by many especially kids! It is the source of vitamins, minerals, scratch and dietary fiber. It is advisable to use ginger or garlic in small amount when you cook potatoes in order to avoid gastric issues, just a word of caution.This potato curry is an easy & quick side dish which goes well with sambar or rasam! I love to pair with curd rice too. It is very simple to make yet delicious! Let's see the recipe
Potato Curry Recipe in South Indian Style (Urulaikilangu Kara Kari )
- Potatoes - 3 large sized
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 1 small
- Garlic - 4 chopped finely
- Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
- Sambar powder - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Gingelly Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Wash the potatoes well and cut each piece into half. Pressure cook it for three whistles. Once the pressure releases, peel the skin off from the potatoes and cut into bite size pieces.Chop the onions, garlic,tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and add the items to temper. Once mustard cracks and urad dal turns brown, add curry leaves & saute for a minute. Add onions and garlic now & fry till it becomes transparent.
- Once the onions become transparent, add tomatoes and saute till it becomes mushy. After that add the potato pieces, turmeric and sambar powder.
- Mix well with little water so that the masalas are coated well.Keep the flame low and carefully fry the potatoes for ten minutes every now and then.Once everything come together, switch off the flame.