Ash gourd/White Pumpkin/Vellai Poosanikkai is apt for making kootu and mor kuzhambu. This ash gourd kootu recipe is a different take to the usual kootu and adding milk gives different flavor to this dish. I love kootu recipes and this white pumpkin kootu is no exception to it.
This recipe is from Amma's kitchen and this kootu is being served in weddings in Tirunelveli. It has a wonderful unique taste and goes well with sambar or any tangy kuzhambu. Let's check how to make this easy ash gourd kootu recipe.
Ash Gourd Kootu Recipe | White Pumpkin Kootu with Milk | Kootu Recipes
- Ash gourd - 1.5 cups chopped
- Channa dal - 1 tbsp
- Boiled Milk - ¼ cup
- Sugar - 1 tsp optional
- Salt - as required
- Coconut grated - ¼ cup
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Small onions - 4
- Raw rice - ½ tsp
- Green chillies - 1
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Peel the skin off from ash gourd and chop them to small cubes. Keep aside.
- Grind coconut, green chillies,cumin seeds, raw rice and small onions with little water to a fine paste and keep it ready.
- Take the chopped ash gourd pieces and channa dal in a vessel and add a cup of water to it. Boil it until the ash gourd is completely cooked.
- Now add the coconut paste to the cooked ash gourd and mix it slowly. Start boiling the kootu in low medium flame for 5 minutes or until the kootu consistency is reached. Then add milk along with sugar (if using) and boil it for two more minutes. Don't boil the kootu for more time after milk is added.
- Heat a tadka pan and add the items to temper. Let the mustard seeds cracks and urad dal turns brown, then add curry leaves. Fry for a minute. Add the tempered items to the kootu and mix it well.
Serve the ash gourd kootu with steamed rice and any kuzhambu of your choice. We had it with ladies finger sambar.
- Skip sugar if you don't prefer sweet taste.
- Keep the flame in low to medium while boiling the kootu in order to avoid the bottom to get sticked.
- If the kootu is watery add a teaspoon of rice flour in the end and boil it for 2 minutes to make it thick.
- This kootu thickens with time so switch off the flame accordingly.
Leave a Reply