Urad dal Milk is a healthy beverage prepared with urad dal powder, palm jaggery, and milk. Urad dal is an excellent source of calcium, iron, and protein. Consuming urad dal regularly helps in healthy weight gain, improve skin health, and prevent bone-related problems in toddlers, kids, and adults. Urad dal can be included in the form of Idli, Dosa, Vada, porridge, khichdi, Kali/Halwa, etc. in kids' diet.
This Urad dal milk is a tasty drink prepared with urad dal. It tastes like kheer, and there are only the least chances for your child to say a no to this yummy goodness. It's also suitable for pregnant women and lactating mothers. You can start giving this healthy drink to your toddler from one year.
Other healthy urad dal recipes for babies and kids:
Now let's get on to check urad dal milk recipe for toddlers and kids.
Urad Dal Milk Recipe for Toddlers and Kids | Urad Dal Kheer
- Urad Dal - 1/4 cup
- Powdered palm Jaggery or jaggery - 1 tbsp or adjust
- Water - 1 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Cardamom or dry ginger powder - 1/8 tsp
- Take 1/4 cup of urad dal and add it to a thick bottomed pan. Dry roast in low, medium flame for 5 minutes or until it turns slightly golden. Remove from the flame once done. Cool it down.
- Transfer the roasted urad dal to a blender. Grind it to a smooth powder. It is urad dal powder. You can make this in bulk and store it in an airtight container & use it whenever required.
- Take 2 tsp of urad dal powder in a saucepan, add 1 cup of water to it. Mix well with a whisk. It should be in pouring thin buttermilk consistency.
- Cook everything in a low flame for 5 minutes or until the urad dal gets cooked well. Stir it continuously; otherwise, it gets stick to the bottom. Once the urad dal is cooked, add powdered palm jaggery or palm jaggery syrup.
- Mix well and cook further for 3 minutes and the nice aroma comes. Add milk at this stage, mix well. Then add cardamom powder. Bring it to a boil.
- Once done, switch off the flame. Cool it down and pour it to glasses and serve warm.
Here is the video of how to make urad dal milk recipe for toddlers and kids
- The final drink should be in pouring consistency, so adjust with milk accordingly.
- Stir it continuously while cooking to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Make sure the urad dal is thoroughly cooked, and raw smell leaves.
- You can use any sweetener of your choice.
- To prevent gas caused by urad dal, use either cardamom or dry ginger powder.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- This urad dal milk becomes thick when cooled down. So switch off the flame accordingly. Adjust with warm milk for the desired consistency.