Urad dal halwa or ulundhankali or ulundhu kali is a healthy and famous sweet in our native. It's given to girls along with this urad dal porridge when they attain puberty as urad dal is belived to strengthen the uterus. It's also a healthy and nutritious snack option for growing toddlers and kids.
Don't underestimate this urad dal halwa by its looks, it tastes so good if made in a right way. My mom used to make this healthy halwa at least twice in a month for its goodness and taste. She used to make a ball and in the center , add a spoon of ghee or sesame oil and serve.
It can be made in jiffy when you have a stock of homemade urad dal flour. This urad dal halwa can be given to babies from 10 months after you introduced urad dal to your baby separately. This urad dal halwa is not only a healthy treat for babies & toddlers, but it's for the whole family as well.
Let's check how to make this healthy urad dal halwa for babies, toddlers and kids.
Urad Dal Halwa Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids | Desserts
- Homemade Urad dal flour - ¼ cup
- Palm jaggery - ¼ cup + 2 tbsp optional
- Homemade Ghee or sesame seeds oil - 2 teaspoon or as needed
- Salt - a pinch
- Cardamom powder or dry ginger powder - a generous pinch
- Water - ½ cup
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Measure urad dal flour and palm jaggery and keep aside. In a pan add grated Palm jaggery and add water till it immersed level. Heat it until it melts. Switch off the flame once done.
- Now take the urad dal flour in the same pan and strain the melted Palm jaggery water using a strainer. Mix it well. Take care to not to form any lumps. Cook the urad dal flour in medium flame for 5 to 8 minutes or until the urad dal gets cooked completely. Stir it continuously while cooking otherwise it may stick to the vessel.
- Add oil or ghee little by liitle and Continue stirring for 3-5 minutes or till the halwa forms a mass leaving the sides of the pan. At this stage, add cardamom powder or dry ginger powder, ghee or sesame oil cashews(if required) and give a quick stir. Switch it off once done.
- U can even use jaggery instead of Palm jaggery.
- Offer this halwa plain when you start. Try to avoid jaggery/ palm sugar/ palm jaggery or any kind of sweetener at least till one year, Add very little amount than mentioned or prefer sweet tasting fruits/vegetables like apple, banana, carrot etc or dry fruits like dates or raisins.
- Make sure to not to form lumps at any stage.
- You could use black urad dal instead of white ones.
- For small babies, add breastmilk or formula at the end to adjust the consistency and skip salt.
- I used less amount of oil, U can use more amount ghee or sesame seeds oil than mentioned to get a very smooth texture if making this halwa for toddlers & adults.
- Make sure to cook the urad dal well.
- Generally urad dal doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
How do you make urad dal powder?
How do you make urad dal powder?
its given with the hyperlink above.. Am pasting here for you reference: https://gkfooddiary.com/homemade-urad-dal-flour-recipe/
I am deepika from Chennai.mother of 3 year old kid..my kid is always a fuzzy eater right from the day I started solid food..but after reading your website..I tried almost all the recipes and she is now happy for the food she eats..thank you so much..keep updating new recepies...
Thanks and regards,
Thank you so much for taking time and writing feedback :)am glad it helped!