Apple Beetroot Jam - Homemade, preservatives free, pectin free jam recipe with Apple and Beetroots! I love making jams and that justifies the number of jam recipes in this blog. This apple beetroot jam recipe is a tasty with a combination of apples and beets. Do give a try and am sure you will not go in for store bought ones.
This apple beetroot jam is ideal for babies above one year!You could consume few tea spoons of this beetroot jam with whole wheat bread, idli, dosa or even roti. Check out other homemade jam recipes for toddlers and kids too.
Apple Beetroot Jam Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Apple - 1 big or 2 small
- Beetroot - 1 small sized or half or 1 medium sized
- Brown Sugar/ Jaggery powder - ¼ cup to ½ cup
- Water - ¼ cup
- Lemon Juice - ½ tsp
- Wash the apples and beetroot in running water thoroughly. Place it on a cutting board and peel the skin. Then cut them into small pieces. Keep sugar & lemon juice ready. Transfer the chopped beetroot pieces into a pressure cooker. Add ¼ cup of water for pressure cooking.
- Pressure cook it for 2 whistles in medium flame and switch off the flame. Once pressure released, open the cooker.
- Mash the cooked apple and beetroot pieces with a masher. Alternatively, you can add them to a blender and blend everything until smooth. Add the water used for pressure cooking while grinding if necessary. Transfer the apple beetroot puree into a pan and add sugar.
- Cook and stir it Occasionally for 10-15 minutes until it reaches jam like consistency. Keep the flame low to medium to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Check the jam consistency in between by placing a spoonful of jam in a plate and cool it down. After cooling down, if no water separated then its the correct consistency for a jam.
- Once the jam consistency is reached, squeeze lemon juice and Switch off the flame. Cool it down and store it in a sterilized glass container.
- Dont add more water while pressure cooking.
- Adding lemon juice increase shelf life. Don't skip it.
- Make sure your kid is not allergic to apple/beetroot before you try this beetroot jam.
- The quantity of the sweetener depends on the sweetness of apple & beetroot. Check and adjust after pureeing them.
- Use a clean jar to store the jam. If preparing the jam in large quantities, I would suggest to sterilize the glass jars.
- Check the jam consistency by place a spoonful of jam in a plate and cool it down. After cooling down, if no water separated then its the correct consistency for a jam.
- You can use white sugar instead of brown sugar/powdered jaggery. But to make it healthy, I recommend brown sugar or jaggery.
- Keep it refrigerated and consume with in a couple of weeks. But it keeps well for a month if handled properly.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.