Carrot Jam - Its one among my favorite jam and making jam at home has become a breeze these days! Guess I got jam mania (of course homemade), as soon as I see the empty jam bottle, i have the urge to make new one and click it:) Tried with carrots last week and I must say it turned out super tasty and my little one enjoyed the carrot jam very much 🙂 check out my strawberry jam & pineapple jam recipes too.
You could consume few tea spoons of this homemade pineapple jam with whole wheat bread, idli, dosa or even roti. You can introduce this carrot jam to your baby after one year! Now Let's get on to check how to make this homemade carrot jam recipe for toddlers and kids.
Carrot Jam Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Carrots - 2 cups chopped
- Brown Sugar/ Jaggery powder - ½ cup
- Lemon Juice - 2 tsp
- Wash the carrots in running water thoroughly. Place it on a cutting board and cut them into small pieces. Keep sugar & lemon ready.
- Pressure cook the carrots for 2 whistles in medium flame. Once the pressure released, open the cooker and cool it down.
- Blend the cooked carrots in a blender until smooth. Use the water (used for pressure cooking) while grinding if necessary.
- Transfer the pureed carrots into a pan and add sugar/jaggery powder. Mix well. Then add lemon juice and give a quick stir. Stir it Ocassionaly for 10-15 minutes until it reaches jam like consistency. Keep the flame low to medium to avoid burning at the bottom. Switch off the flame once done.
Delicious homemade carrot jam is ready!
Hope you liked this recipe!
- Choose sweet tasting carrots for better results.
- The quantity of the sweetener depends on the sweetness of carrots.
- Use a clean jar to store the jam. If preparing the jam in large quantities, I would suggest to sterilize the glass jars.
- Check the jam consistency by place a spoonful of jam in a plate and cool it down. After cooling down, if no water separated then its the correct consistency for a jam.
- You can use white sugar instead of brown sugar/powdered jaggery. You will get a nice orange color if you use sugar. But to make it healthy, always use brown sugar or jaggery.
- Keep it refrigerated and consume with in a couple of weeks. But it keeps well for a month if handled properly.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.