Last week when I posted barley water, few readers requested to post barley cereal powder. Barley is a nutritious food that can be offered to babies from 6 months as it's easy to digest. For more health benefits of barley and on how to select barley, check here.
Here is how to make homemade barley cereal powder for babies.
Barley Cereal Powder for Babies | Baby Food
- Barley - ¼ cup
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Take ¼ cup of barley and wash it thoroughly in running water. Dry it under the sun or shade for 30 minutes or until the barley dried completely.
- Take the dried barley in a pan and dry roast in low flame until it is hot to touch and crispy. Switch off the flame. Cool it down.
- Grind the barley in a mixer to a coarse powder. It is a barley cereal powder, cool it down and store this in an airtight container.
Here is the video of how to make barley cereal & barley porridge for babies:
- Always consume barley in moderation as it has excess fiber.
- Some sources say barley cause cold in babies. But my baby never got cold when I give her barley. So check with your baby's doctor on this.
- Generally, barley doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any. If your family has a history of allergy to gluten foods, avoid barley to your baby until 1 year.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- You could make the barley cereal powder in bulk. I recommend to grind it in a mill for bulk quantities as grinding in a blender is a little hard.
- This powder stays well for a month if handled properly.
nice way to make food
Grain has been developed in the close east and was most likely first eaten as an oat of the Egyptians in the antiquated times. The Roman's, Greeks and Hebrews likewise considered grain as their prime bread grain. The truth of the matter is this grain has a lot of protein substance is the reason it has been nourished to creatures to keep them solid and offer them some assistance with growing.
Can we mix this in hot water and give directly? Or it should be cooked?
It should be cooked for at least 5-10 minutes. Check for barely apple porridge I have posted for an idea
Can we use barley flour?
yes, the texture will be different.
It should be cooked for atleast 5 mins
Why do we need to roast barley? It takes a lot of time and doesn't turn crispy. However I have to cook it in a pressure cooker after powdering the roasted cereal
You don't need to roast barely for long time. Maybe 5 minutes in low flame should do. Roasting ensures easy grinding and long shelf life.
Really very helpful blog thnq
Can u please tell me What is barley called in Hindi or marathi
barley is jao in hindi
Can I give my baby barley powder mixed with formula milk in the evening?
yes if it suits your baby
is it necessary to dry toast barley before powdering?
yes to ensure long shelf life
Pls confirm which barley should be used to make powder... Can I use store bought pearl barley?
yes you can use pearl barley
what are the benefit of barley power to eat and how much quantity should be taken in a day
You can give a maximum of 2 tbsp. check out benefits here: https://gkfooddiary.com/barley-water-for-babies/
Pleas tell me that barely will cause cold for little one
No, it won't
How to use this barley powder regularly for kids.Dhojld i give in milk,or in dosa mix.How frequently can i give this to a 5 year old.
you can make porridge or add it while making roti, kheer etc.