Last week when I posted barley water, few readers requested to post barley cereal powder. Barley is a nutritious food that can be offered to babies from 6 months as it's easy to digest. For more health benefits of barley and on how to select barley, check here.
Here is how to make homemade barley cereal powder for babies.
Barley Cereal Powder for Babies | Baby Food
- Barley - 1/4 cup
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Take 1/4 cup of barley and wash it thoroughly in running water. Dry it under the sun or shade for 30 minutes or until the barley dried completely.
- Take the dried barley in a pan and dry roast in low flame until it is hot to touch and crispy. Switch off the flame. Cool it down.
- Grind the barley in a mixer to a coarse powder. It is a barley cereal powder, cool it down and store this in an airtight container.
Here is the video of how to make barley cereal & barley porridge for babies:
- Always consume barley in moderation as it has excess fiber.
- Some sources say barley cause cold in babies. But my baby never got cold when I give her barley. So check with your baby's doctor on this.
- Generally, barley doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any. If your family has a history of allergy to gluten foods, avoid barley to your baby until 1 year.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- You could make the barley cereal powder in bulk. I recommend to grind it in a mill for bulk quantities as grinding in a blender is a little hard.
- This powder stays well for a month if handled properly.