Barley Carrot Porridge: Healthy porridge recipe for babies and toddlers with homemade barley cereal and carrots. As I mentioned earlier, barley is a wonder grain loaded with many nutrients than rice. This barley carrot porridge is one easy way to include barley in your baby's diet as it tastes delicious!
This barley carrot porridge doesn't require any additional sweetener, the natural sweetness of carrots gives a sweet taste to the porridge. This barley carrot porridge can be provided to babies from 6 months.
Check out other barley recipes for babies and toddlers here:
Now let's get on to check how to make barley carrot porridge for babies and toddlers.
Barley Carrot Porridge Recipe for Babies and Toddlers
- Homemade Barley Cereal/Whole Barley* - 2 tbsp
- Water - 1 Cup + 1/2 cup
- Carrot - 1 medium sized or 1/2 cup sliced
- Ghee - 1 Tsp
- Dates - 2
- Cardamom Powder - 1/8 tsp
- * If using whole barley dry roast powder, and use
- Soak two dates in warm water. Wash carrot in running water well. Peel the skin off from the carrot with a peeler. Then slice them into pieces. Transfer the carrot slices into a pressure cooker and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Pressure cook the carrots in medium flame for one whistle. Open the cooker once pressure released.
- Transfer the cooked carrots along with soaked dates to a blender.
- Grind it into a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Take the homemade barley cereal in a pan and 1 cup of water to it. (If using whole barley, Dry roast in low flame until the rice is hot to touch. Cool it down, Grind it in a mixer to a slightly coarse powder and use)
- Mix well with a whisk. Make sure that no lumps are formed. Cook the barley powder in low, medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or until it is thoroughly cooked in sauce consistency. Keep stirring while cooking.
- Once the barley powder is thoroughly cooked, add ground carrot puree. Give a quick stir. Then add 1 tsp of ghee.
- Add 1/8 tsp of cardamom powder at this stage. Cook it further for 1-2 minutes. Switch off the flame once done. Let the porridge cool down and feed your baby.
Here is the video of how to make barley carrot porridge for Baby
8. Add 1/8 tsp of cardamom powder at this stage. Cook it further for 1-2 minutes. Switch off the flame once done. Let the porridge cool down and feed your baby.
- This barley carrot porridge will become thick after cooling down, so switch off the flame accordingly. Adjust with warm water or milk while feeding if it becomes too thick.
- Generally, barley doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- You can add a tsp of palm sugar powder for babies above one year.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Salt or sugar is not advisable for babies under one year.