Oats Porridge – healthy porridge recipe made with homemade oatmeal cereal . As promised, here is the detailed steps to make simple porridge using oatmeal cereal.This oats porridge recipe can be given to babies from 8 months. This porridge tastes good even plain without adding any additional sweetener or salt. But you can add any fruit puree, dates syrup or raisins paste to enhance the taste. For babies above one year, you can make this oats porridge with cow’s milk (instead of water) and sugar/jaggery syrup! Tastes delicious! Check oats banana porridge recipe here to get an idea to add how to add fruit puree as sweetener.Also check my Porridge recipe collections for 6 month plus Babies
- Homemade oatmeal Cereal - ¼ cup
- Water - ¾ cup
- Breastmilk/ Formula milk/ Cows milk - ¼ cup
- Dates syrup/any sweetener - 1-2 tbsp (optional)
- Take 2 tbsp of oatmeal cereal mix in a saucepan. Add ¾ cup of water and mix well with a whisk. Make sure there are no lumps remained. add sweetner at this stage. Give a quick stir.
- Cook the porridge for 5 minutes until it becomes slightly thick. Then add cow's milk if using. Cook it further for 2 minutes and switch off the flame. Cool it down and serve warm. If using breastmilk/formula, add it once the porridge is cooled down.
Here is the video recipe for how to make oats porridge for babies
- If the porridge becomes too thick, add boiled water/formula or breast-milk to adjust the consistency while feeding your baby.
- You could also use 3/4 cup of boiled cows milk instead of water for babies above one year.
- Skip sweetener for babies below one year. Use fruit puree, dates syrup or raisins paste (soak raisins overnight and make a paste with little water using a blender and add it)
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.