Puffed Rice/Muramure is a versatile food for babies and kids, ideal as a breakfast cereal or snack! Puffed rice is a type of puffed grain made from by heating rice(white or brown rice) kernels under high heat. It is an easily digestible food for babies, but it does not contain a major source of proteins or fiber, and hence it should be given to babies and small children in moderation.
This puffed rice cereal is made with roasted Bengal gram dal for added proteins, and it is beneficial when traveling with infants as it can be used to make instant porridge without cooking. Read more further on the post about when and how to introduce puffed rice to babies, health benefits and more.
When can I introduce puffed rice to my baby?
Puffed rice can be included in the baby’s diet after seven months after introducing rice. When you start, begin with this puffed rice cereal, gradually you can offer puffed rice as a finger food once the baby started to chew thoroughly. Consult with your baby ‘s pediatrician before including puffed rice in baby’s diet.
Health benefits of Puffed rice for babies and kids:
- It is easily digestible hence its ideal for babies and small children.
- Puffed rice(brown) contain a significant amount of dietary fiber which helps to maintain a healthy digestive tract.
- Puffed rice (brown) has some amount of protein, calcium, and magnesium, which helps in overall development.
Points to consider while selecting Puffed Rice for baby food:
- Puffed rice made from brown rice (which has more nutrients) is more beneficial than the puffed rice made from white rice. Hence prefer buying the puffed rice made from brown rice.
- Water amount and cooking time vary on the puffed rice variety.
- Buying organic puffed rice is preferable for babies, if available.
Ways to use this Puffed rice cereal mix powder for babies, toddlers, and kids
- You can make instant Cerelac for your baby during travel, check the detailed method of preparation here.
- Add puffed rice cereal to milk and give as a breakfast cereal to your toddler.
- Add ghee, powdered jaggery to this puffed rice cereal mix and offer as a snack.
- Puffed Rice - 2 cups
- Roasted Bengal Gram Dal/pottu kadalai - ¼ cup
- Cardamom - 1
- Dry Ginger Powder - ⅛ Tsp (optional)
- Measure puffed rice and roasted Bengal gram. Transfer the puffed rice, roasted Bengal gram and cardamom seeds to a blender/mixer/food processor.
- Grind them to a smooth powder. Then add dry ginger powder and run a mixie for 10 seconds. Transfer it to a plate and cool it down. Then store it in an airtight container.
Healthy homemade puffed rice cereal is ready!
- This puffed rice cereal powder keeps well for two months if handled correctly.
- Clean the puffed rice properly and remove the husk(if any), before grinding.
- Adding cardamom powder and dry ginger powder to the puffed rice cereal mix helps to digest the roasted Bengal gram dal easily.
- Store this puffed rice powder in a cool and dry place. Keep it in the refrigerator if the temperature is extremely hot.
- You can grind it to a fine or coarse powder as per your preference.
- Generally puffed rice doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.