Ragi Urad Dal porridge is a healthy porridge recipe made with homemade ragi urad dal flour, milk, and sweetener. It is a healthy breakfast porridge recipe for babies and growing kids. You can make this porridge either thick or thin as per your need and child’s preference by adjusting milk or water. For small babies, make it thick spoon-able consistency, and for grown kids, make it in a runny consistency and offer as a health drink! You can start giving this healthy ragi urad dal porridge to your baby from 8 months and prefer this once or twice a week. Check the collection of porridge recipes for babies and kids here.
Ragi Urad Dal Porridge Recipe for Babies and Toddlers
- Homemade Ragi urad dal Flour - 1/4 cup
- Powdered palm Jaggery or jaggery or brown sugar - 2-3 tbsp optional
- Water - 1 cup
- Milk - 1cup
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Measure jaggery (if using) and keep aside. I used organic jaggery without impurities, melt jaggery, and strain water if using jaggery with impurities. In a saucepan, take the ragi urad dal flour and add water. Mix well without any lumps.
- Now cook everything in a low flame for 5 minutes or until the ragi urad dal flour gets cooked well, and the porridge becomes thick and shiny. Stir it continuously; otherwise, it gets stick to the bottom. Adjust with water if it's getting too thick. Once the porridge is cooked, add milk(for babies above one year) and cook it further for 5 minutes.
- Finally, add powdered palm jaggery or palm jaggery syrup. Mix well and cook it further for 2-3 minutes. Once done, switch off the flame.
Healthy ragi urad dal porridge is ready!
- Stir it continuously while cooking to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Make sure that the ragi urad dal flour is thoroughly cooked and raw smell leaves.
- You can use dates and raisins as a sweetener to small babies, grind it to a smooth paste and use.
- Skip milk for babies below one year. Cook it only with water, if required add breastmilk or formula milk once the porridge is warm.
- You can use any sweetener of your choice.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- This ragi urad dal porridge becomes thick when cooled down. So switch off the flame accordingly.
- Avoid jaggery/Palm jaggery/palm sugar for babies below one year.