Sweet Potato Poha Porridge - healthy porridge recipe made with poha, sweet potatoes and raisins. Sweet potatoes are rich in fiber & vitamins hence its important to add sweet potatoes as a part of baby's healthy diet, adding poha to sweet potatoes makes it more healthier! This healthy Sweet potato poha porridge recipe can be given to babies from 7 months. This porridge has natural sweet taste from sweet potatoes and doesn't require any additional sweetener.
Here is how to make healthy sweet potato poha porridge recipe for babies and toddlers.
Sweet Potato Poha Porridge Recipe for Babies & Toddlers
- Poha/Beaten Rice/ Aval - 1 cup
- Sweet Potato - 1 medium sized
- Jaggery - 2 tbsp optional
- Cardamom powder - a pinch
- Raisins- 1 tbsp
- Water - as required
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready. Wash and soak poha in water until its soft enough to mash. Squeeze the water completely from poha once it's soft. Wash & pressure cook the sweet potatoes for 3 whistles in medium flame. Open the pressure cooker once pressure released.
- Heat jaggery in a pan with water till it immersing level.Switch off the flame once slight honey like consistency is reached. Strain the jaggery water using a strainer to remove impurities. This step is completely optional.
- Mash the sweet potatoes well with a fork. Then transfer the mashed sweet potatoes to a sauce pan with cardamom powder and required jaggery water or plain water . Switch on the flame.
- Now add soaked poha to it . Mix well and cook the porridge for 2-3 minutes in medium low flame. Then add ghee and cook it further for 2 minutes.
- Finally add raisins or raisins paste to the porridge and mix well. Switch off the flame once done.
- I used thick poha variety, you can either use thin or thick variety based on the availability.
- If the porridge becomes too thick, add boiled water/formula or breast-milk to adjust the consistency while feeding.
- You could also add ¼ cup of boiled milk for babies above one year.
- You can even use red poha variety which is more healthier. But soaking and cooking time will be more than mentioned.
- Skip jaggery and whole raisins for babies below one year. Instead soak raisins overnight and make a paste with little water using a blender and add it.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Make sure to introduce sweet potato & poha separate to your baby before you try this sweet potato poha porridge .