I have already posted the rice porridge recipe for babies, which can be given as a first food for babies. Once your baby is comfortable with the rice porridge and this dal ka pani made with moong dal, you can gradually introduce this rice dal porridge to your baby. This porridge is so filling , high in carbohydrates and protein.
I made this rice dal porridge powder in small quantity but you can make it in bulk say for a week. Store it in air tight container and use it whenever required. Check here for making this homemade rice dal powder in bulk. This instant rice dal khichadi mix powder don't get spoiled soon so ideal for travel. Now lets get on to check how to make this rice porridge with moong dal.
Rice Porridge Recipe for Babies with Moong Dal | Instant Khichdi forBabies | Baby Food
- Parboiled rice - 2 tbsp
- Moong Dal - 1tbsp
- Cumin seeds - a pinch
- Rice moong dal powder - 2 tsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Ghee - 1/4 tsp
- Sterilise the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Take 2 tbsp of rice & 1 tbsp of moong dal and wash it well. Dry it under the sun or shade for 1 hour or until the rice & moong dal dried completely. Skip this step if using homemade rice dal powder.
- Take the dried rice & moong dal in a sauce pan. Dry roast in low flame until the rice is hot to touch and little puffy and moong dal turns slight golden brown. Add cuming seeds now and give a quick stir. Switch off the flame once done. Skip this step if using homemade rice dal powder.
- Grind the roasted items together in a mixer to a fine powder. This is a rice dal porridge powder. Skip this step if using homemade rice dal powder.
- Now take the freshly ground rice dal powder or 2 tsp of
- homemade rice dal powder in the same sauce pan and add ghee &1.5 cups of water to it. Mix well with a whisk. Make sure that no lumps are formed. Cook the rice& dal in low flame for 5 to 8 minutes or until the rice and moong dal is completely cooked. Switch off the flame. Once the rice & moong dal is cooked it will be in sauce consistency. Let it cool down and feed your baby.
- Generally rice & moong dal doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Increase the water quantity to 1.5 cups to 2 cups and make the porridge watery and thin when you are introducing this porridge to your baby.
- You could make the rice dal porridge powder in advance with 1/2 cup of rice, 1/4 cup of moong dal, 1/8 tsp of cumin seeds. Store it in a air tight container. Check the rice moong dal powder preparation here. Use it whenever required. It is ideal for travel too.
- Salt or sugar is not advisable for babies under one year.
- This rice dal porridge will become thick after cooling down, so switch off the flame accordingly. Adjust with warm water if it becomes too thick.
- You could add any vegetable puree to this rice dal porridge to make it more healthy.