Porridge is an easily digestible nutritional food for people of all ages and surely it makes a deliciously healthy food for babies as its has a smooth structure and comforting to the taste buds for the little ones. Porridge’s are not only meant for the first food for babies, but also best to offer them when your child is sick or fussy about food. Here are some healthy, easy to make porridge’s for babies, toddlers and kids. Also check out our collection of homemade baby food recipes for 6-12 months if interested.
Bookmark this page for future reference as I will be updating this post on a regular basis. Click on each thumbnail image given below for the porridge recipes. Choose recipes according to your baby’s age which is mentioned in the brackets along with recipe heading.
- Always serve the porridge fresh and warm. Better to consume the porridge within 2 hours from the preparation.
- If the porridge is too thick after cooling down, make sure to adjust the consistency by adding breastmilk/formula milk/ cow’s milk or warm water.
- If the recipe calls for formula milk, make sure to not to boil/cook it. Prepare the porridge with water and once the porridge is warm, add prepared formula milk.
- If your baby is allergenic to any ingredient used in the porridge, please remove it while preparing.
- For babies below one year, prefer fruit purees, dates syrup and pureed raisins as sweeteners.
- To get the baby to use to different textures and taste, include variety of foods in their monthly diet other than porridge’s.
Easy Porridge Recipes for babies, toddlers and Kids:
1. Rice Porridge (6 Months+) :
Rice porridge is an ideal first food for babies as it’s easily digestible and less likely to cause allergic reactions. This rice porridge recipe is prepared with homemade rice cereal and also is best to offer when the child is sick as it gives instant energy.
2. Rice Porridge with Moong Dal ( 6 months +):
Rice moong dal porridge is made with homemade rice moong dal powder which is loaded with carbohydrates and protein. Once the baby is comfortable with plain rice porridge you can slowly introduce this rice porridge with moong dal.
5. Ragi porridge with homemade sprouted Ragi powder (6 Months+):
This ragi porridge is made with homemade sprouted ragi powder which is easily digestible and rich in nutrients. You can make this ragi porridge with milk for toddlers and kids instead of water.
6. Sweet Potato Poha Porridge (7 Months+):
Healthy combination of porridge with sweet potatoes poha and raisins loaded with vitamins and fiber. This sweet poha porridge is a wholesome and filling porridge for your baby!
7. Wheat Porridge (8 Months+):
This wheat porridge is prepared with whole wheat flour, yellow moong dal and almonds. Wheat can be introduced to babies diet after 8 months as plain wheat porridge. If the baby is not showed any allergic reaction for wheat, try this wheat moong dal almond porridge.
8. Broken Wheat/ Dalia Porridge (8 Months+):
Broken wheat aka dalia is rich in calcium, iron and vitamins which should be part of child’s healthy diet. This porridge is one of the best way to include broken wheat in growing children’s diet. This broken wheat porridge is made with dates to make it more healthy!
9. Urad Dal Porridge ( 8 Months+):
Urad dal is rich in calcium and helps in healthy weight gain in children. Its also good for pregnant women and lactating moms.
10. Homemade Cerelac Porridge/ Sathu Maavu Kanji (8 Months+):
Homemade Cerelac is a health mix powder made with combination of pulses, legumes and nuts. Its the best weight gaining food for children and should be a essential part of growing children’s diet.
11. Oats Banana Porridge (8 Months+):
Oats is a fiber rich food for babies that can be given from 8 months. This oats porridge is prepared with bananas to make it more healthy and wholesome.
12. Bajra Porridge (8 Months+):
Iron rich porridge made with bajra flour which helps to maintain the hemoglobin levels of children.
13. Sooji Porridge/ Rava Porridge (6 Months+):
Sooji/Rava/cream of wheat is an easily digestible food for babies that can be given from 6 months. This sooji porridge can be prepared with breast milk or formula milk and sweetener as fruits for babies below one year.
14. Green Gram Porridge (10 Months+):
Green gram/green moong bean is protein packed thatcan be introduced to babies after 10 months. This green gram porridge is one of the delicious way to include green gram in kids diet. It’s also ideal for pregnant women and lactating moms.
15. Rice Milk Porridge (1 year+):
I will update this post with recipes on a regular basis.
- Make sure you have introduced each food separate and checked for allergies before trying any porridge recipe.
- Always check with your pediatrician before giving any food.
- Avoid salt and any kind of sugar at least till one year.