- What's diarrhea, and how can I tell my baby has diarrhea?
- When to see the doctor if your baby has diarrhea?
- Causes of loose motions or diarrhea in babies & Toddler:
- How to feed your baby or toddler when he has diarrhea?
- Foods to feed during diarrhea for babies, toddlers, and Kids:
- Drinks or Beverages - During diarrhea in children
- Soups- During diarrhea in children
- Fruits and Vegetables-During diarrhea in children
- Filling Foods - During diarrhea in children
- Foods to avoid during diarrhea:
Home Remedies for Loose Motions, Diarrhea/loose motion in Babies and toddlers worry parents as it can make the child feel tired and irritable. Babies and Toddlers don't prefer to eat during diarrhea, but feeding them is essential to prevent dehydration. Many parents are confused about what to feed the baby during diarrhea/loose motion. Don't worry. This post helps you provide your child well when the child has diarrhea and helps you to recover quickly.
What's diarrhea, and how can I tell my baby has diarrhea?
- Increase in frequency: two times your baby's regular pattern.
- The stools become looser, watery, mucousy, green, or runner than usual.
For more information on the further symptoms, check here
When to see the doctor if your baby has diarrhea?
- Baby is younger than 3 months
- If your baby is over 3 months, call the doctor if the diarrhea is not improving after 24 hours.
- Cannot keep any food down
- Vomiting or has a fever
- Blood in stool
- Signs of dehydration
Causes of loose motions or diarrhea in babies & Toddler:
- Intestinal infections
- Food allergy
- Food intolerance
- Too much juice intake
How to feed your baby or toddler when he has diarrhea?
- For babies younger than 6 months, only breastfeeding or formula feeding is recommended during the episode of diarrhea.
- For babies above 6 months, Give small and frequent meals. Prefer easily digestible foods.
- Don't force the baby to eat. Instead, try to offer the foods he prefers.
- Offer your baby fruits rich in potassium.
- After every bout of loose motion, feed breastmilk/formula or offer a few teaspoons of drinks like water, buttermilk, etc.
- Give your toddler ORS (Oral Re-hydration Solution) if your pediatrician prescribed the same.
Foods to feed during diarrhea for babies, toddlers, and Kids:
Earlier, providing your baby/toddler only with the classic BRAT diet (Banana, Rice, Apple Sauce, Toast) was suggested during diarrhea. Still, pediatricians and AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) are advised to continue including solids, preferably light and easily digestible foods.
Please bookmark this page for future reference, as I will update this post regularly. Click on each thumbnail image given below for the recipes. Choose recipes according to your baby's age mentioned in the brackets and the recipe heading. Please refer to the notes section at the end of the post for the key points to remember before offering diarrhea foods to your baby.
Here is the video for the list of foods to offer during loose motion/diarrhea in babies and toddlers
Read further below for detailed information and foods that can be given during diarrhea
Drinks or Beverages - During diarrhea in children
1. Breastfeeding (0 Months+) :
2. Plain Curd or Buttermilk or Plain Lassi (7 months +) :
3. Barley Water (6 Months+):
Barley water has a good amount of scratch, which helps to absorb excess fluid in stool and helps to stop diarrhea. Be sure to feed your baby with barley water in moderation if your family has no history of allergy to gluten. Check out barley water recipe here:
4. Rice Gruel (6 Months+):
5. Water (6 Months+):
6. Lemon Water/Nimbu Paani (8 Months+):
7. Tender Coconut Water (8 Months+):
Soups- During diarrhea in children
8. Vegetable Clear Soup (8 Months+):
9. Chicken Clear Soup (9 Months+):
10. Moong Dal Soup (6 Months+):
Fruits and Vegetables-During diarrhea in children
11. Stewed Apple (6 Months+):
12. Bananas (6 Months+):
13. Carrots (6 Months+):
14. Boiled Potatoes (8 Months+):
Filling Foods - During diarrhea in children
15. Moong dal Khichdi (7 Months+):
16. Curd Rice (8 Months+):
Curd rice is another comforting meal option during an episode of diarrhea, and it's most of the toddler's favorite too. Good bacteria in curd help to fight diarrhea. Make sure the curd is not sour. Check out curd rice recipe here (make it without milk, butter, and tempering):
17. Sabudhana (7 Months+):
18. Idli or Steamed Dosa (8 Months+):
19. Idiyappam (8 Months+):
20. Rice Porridge (6 Months+):
21. Bread Toast ( 1 year +):
22. Arrowroot powder porridge (8 Months+):
Arrowroot is an old-fashioned remedy for diarrhea and is believed to reduce diarrhea. Make the porridge with arrowroot powder similar to rice porridge. I will post the recipe soon.
Foods to avoid during diarrhea:
- Dairy Products except for curd and buttermilk
- Sweetened drinks or carbonated drinks like soda
- All fruit juices
- Some Fruits ( peaches, pears, prunes, plums)
- Dry fruits and nuts
- High fiber foods
- Raw salads and sprouts
- Spicy food
I will update this post with recipes regularly. Please be updated by liking my facebook page GKFoodDiary or follow me through Google+,Twitter & Pintrest!
- The information provided here is guidelines and doesn't replace medical advice.
- Check with your doctor immediately if your baby has diarrhea and dehydration, which leads to dangerous effects. A doctor may help you determine and treat the problem's cause.
- Make sure you have introduced each food separately and checked for allergies.
- Always check with your pediatrician before giving any food.
Treat your baby's dehydration in children with Probiotics and ensure they are diarrhea-free for the next couple months!
My baby boy have 2 year before yesterday he have loose stools with mucus no too watery and i consult doctor he said no infection in stomach he prescribed neutrolin b and zinconia and yester he passes stool n one time and today he pasess stool n 5 times but not watery but small amount of poops what to do iam n fasting and he have breast feeding baby s fasting ccause baby loose poops or passing poos moretha. 4 times
Fasting will not decrease milk supply, but that severe dehydration can decrease milk supply. And it won't cause loose motion. There should be other reasons for the baby's diarrhea. Keep yourself and your child hydrated. That is most recommended at this stage.
Hi i urgently need advise, m a first time mom in the Uk, my 13 month old boy has a cold and congested chest past few weeks now and he was still recovering from that and now he has got loose stools past 2 days, m offering him water and small amounts of meals , but please advice what type of food i can offer him when he has cold cough and Dairreah all at once.
Also if i can give ginger juice how much and how often.
Avoid ginger juice as a baby is having loose motions. Give light meals khichdi, idli, rasam, etc. you can also give steamed vegetables or soups
My baby is 2yrs old he is suffering for lose motion for past 3days it normal or not
Rasam rice is good to taken at the time of lose motion
check with your doctor once. rasam rice with fewer spices should be okay
My 14 months old had very bad diarrhea last week and is recovering.. for the past three days, there is no loose stools and he seems to be dng gud.. but when can I start giving his regular foods like dairy and other veggies.. now he is having idly , dosa and rice and oatmeal cereals with hot water, steamed apple and bananas and moong dal with carrot rice....
you can slowly introduce normal food one by one if the diarrhea is in control