When to Introduce Potato for baby and potato baby food recipes
You can introduce potatoes to babies from 8 months and this potato puree/mash is good to begin with. Then you can combine potatoes with other vegetables too. Some potato recipes for babies
- Carrot Potato mash/puree
- Carrot Beetroot potato puree/mash
- Broccoli Potato Puree/mash
- Potato Salad (best as finger food)
Also Please find other baby Puree collections below
In this post, read more on the health benefits of potato for babies and information on how to cook potatoes for baby food.
Health benefits of potatoes for Babies and Kids
- Healthy Weight gaining food for babies and growing kids as potatoes are rich in carbohydrates and dietary fiber.
- Phosphorus present in potatoes contribute to build bone development.
- Choline content in potatoes helps with Sleep, learning and memory.
- Rich in Vitamin C that encourages healthy glowing skin.
How to cook potatoes
- Baking – Pre heat oven for 425 degrees F. Prick potatoes to make holes with small knife and place in a baking tray. Bake it for 45 minutes or until tender and the skin is wrinkled. Peel the skin once its cooled down.
- Boiling – Cut potatoes into small pieces and boil it in a saucepan with water till its immersed level until soft. Peel the skin once its cooled down. More details on boiling potatoes given in the steps below.
- Pressure cooking – Cut the potatoes into pieces and pressure cook it in a cooker with water till its immersed level until soft.
- Steaming – Peel and cut potatoes into small pieces and steam it using a steamer until soft. Check here for more details on steaming potatoes.
- Potato - 1 medium sized
- Butter - 1 tsp
- Breastmilk/Formula Milk/Cow's milk - 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Salt - as required
- Pepper powder - ⅛ tsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash the potatoes thoroughly in running water. Peel the skin of potatoes using a peeler.
- Then cut them into small cubes. Then boil them in a sauce pan with a cup of water until soft. Alternatively you can also pressure cook the potatoes with enough water for 2-3 whistles or you can steam cook/bake the potatoes too.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, strain the potatoes using a strainer to remove the excess water (if any). Then place the potato pieces in to a wide bowl.
- Now add butter and asafoetida to the potatoes. Mash the potatoes well (without any chunks) with a fork or potato masher. Add breastmilk/formula milk/ Cow's milk, pepper powder and salt. Mix well until you get a creamy mash. Alternatively you can puree the potatoes in a mixie/blender along with milk, salt and pepper to get fine puree.
- Select fresh potatoes with less brown spots for baby food.
- Skip salt for babies below one year.
- Adding pepper powder enhances flavor and taste ,but it is purely optional. Skip it if you don’t prefer.
- For small babies, you can puree the potatoes with milk using a blender.
- For older kids, you can also add finely chopped & well fried onions for extra taste.
- You can adjust the consistency by adding water/breast milk/formula while feeding.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.