Steamed Nendran banana/Kerala banana mash is a nutrition-rich and filling food for babies. It helps in weight gain too. I have introduced this Nendran mash to my baby at her 7 th month after her stomach is adjusted with small bananas. My baby likes anything sweet, and hence this banana mash too. Steaming Nendran banana is very important to make it digestible for babies. Check out more nendran banana/Kerala banana/ plantain recipes for babies and toddlers here.
Let's see the recipe of steamed nendran banana mash for babies.
Steamed Nendran Banana Mash for Babies | Baby Food
- Nendran Banana - 1 medium-sized
- Water - as needed
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same container until use.
- Take Nendran banana and trim head and tail parts with a knife. Then chop them into equal size disks.
- Steam the chopped banana pieces in a steamer for 10 minutes. Once the banana is steamed, it will be soft and in yellow color. Remove the seeds in the center. Now blend it with little water to a smooth paste in a blender. You can steam it with Idli steamer plate by adding a cup of water or pressure cook it with a cup of water for two whistles. For both steaming and blending, I use
- Philips Avent Combined Steamer and Blender
Here is the video of nendran banana mash for babies using idli pot or steamer
- Generally, Nendran banana doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- You can add breast milk/ formula milk or water to adjust the consistency if desired.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Steaming is a healthy option for baby food. So I prefer cooking using an Idli pot or steamer.