Ragi Moong Dal Powder for Babies – healthy porridge mix for with ragi seeds, almonds, and moong dal. I have already shared a wheat porridge mix with wheat flour moong dal and almonds. In this recipe, I have replaced wheat flour with ragi flour. You can make porridge with this porridge mix, and it is a nice variation to the usual ragi porridge, and it helps in healthy weight gain in babies.
This ragi moong dal powder can be given to babies from 6 months after introducing each ingredient separately. For Toddlers, you can make dosa with this ragi moong dal mix by adding water. The dosa recipe is similar to this instant ragi dosa. Also, check out more health mix powder recipes for babies here.
Now Let’s check how to make ragi moong dal powder for babies and toddlers.
Ragi Moong Dal Powder Recipe for Babies | Moong Dal Ragi Cerelac
- Ragi Seeds - 1/2 cup
- Moong dal - 1/4 cup
- Almonds - 2 tbsp optional
- Measure ragi, moong dal, and almonds in a measuring cup and keep everything ready. Take ragi in a vessel and wash it by rubbing well with your hands. It has lots of mud so repeat the process 2 to 3 times unless it is clean and get rid of all dirt.
- Soak the ragi in fresh water for 12 hours. Keep it covered (with provision to some air to enter) while soaking. After 12 hours, open. The color of the ragi will be changed after soaking.
- Then drain the water completely. You can sun dry the ragi for 5-6 hours, or you can directly start roasting in a pan. Transfer the drained ragi to a thick bottomed pan and dry roast the ragi in a pan in low flame for 5 minutes or until it’s toasted. Remove from the pan and cool it down.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the almonds until it is hot to touch. Remove roasted almonds from the pan and transfer to a bowl. Let it cool down for some time.
- Then wash the moong dal thoroughly in running water and dry it under the sun for 30 minutes or you can directly start roasting in a pan. Add the drained moong dal in the same pan and dry roast it until it changed to a golden brown. It may take five minutes. Remove the roasted moong dal from the pan and transfer it to a plate.
- Take the roasted ragi to a dry mixer jar and blend it to a smooth powder.
- Once almonds and moong dal are cooled down, grind it together in the blender to a smooth powder.
- Then sieve it with a sieve and collect the sieved powder in a big plate. Once done, cool it down and store it in an airtight container.
- Introduce each ingredient in the ragi porridge mix separately and try this recipe for your baby.
- You can skip almonds and add them to the mix once the baby is 8 months old.
- You can also blanch, peel the almonds and powder it
- You can store this ragi moong dal powder in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator. It stays well 2 to 3 months.
- Make sure you cool down thoroughly after roasting & blending. Otherwise, it will let out moisture.
- You can also grind the ragi in mill if you’re preparing larger quantities.
- If grinding at home, do it in intervals to avoid overheating of the blender.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.