Kerala Banana/Nendran Banana/Plantain is often referred to as "king of banana." It is the most popular banana in Kerala, India. Kerala banana is known as plantain in the United States and Europe. It has excellent health benefits, sweet taste and highly beneficial for infants and kids. Also, it helps in healthy weight gain in children.
Unlike regular Bananas, Kerala banana (both green and yellow) mostly needs to be cooked before giving to babies and kids. Kerala Banana is a versatile fruit, and there are more ways to give this fruit to children. Here are some ways to include Kerala banana in your baby's diet. Read more to know information about the nutritional benefits of Kerala banana, how and when to introduce Kerala Banana to baby etc.
When can I introduce Kerala Banana to my baby?
You can introduce Kerala banana to your baby once your baby completes seven months. When you start Kerala banana, begin with steamed nendran banana or raw banana porridge made with homemade raw Kerala banana powder. Gradually you can try other Kerala banana recipes such as banana ghee fry, kheer, halwa, etc
How to select and store Kerala Banana for Baby Food
Kerala Banana is available at major grocery stores. You can purchase the fruit at any point of ripeness. There are three types of Kerala banana available depend on the maturity of the fruit.
- Green Raw Kerala Banana: It looks very hard, raw with green skin and less in sweet taste. Remove the peel of banana with a knife and use it. Use the green raw Kerala banana to make raw Kerala banana powder, Kerala banana chips, raw Kerala banana curry, etc.
- Yellow Kerala Banana: It looks a bit soft like regular bananas, slightly ripe with yellow skin and in a sweeter taste. It can be steam cooked, fried, or baked for baby food. Use the yellow Kerala banana to make steamed Kerala banana puree, Kerala banana ghee fry, Kerala banana jaggery sauce, etc
- Black Kerala Banana: It looks super soft and fully riped with black skin. This ripe black Kerala banana is the sweetest compared to all the other bananas. Use the ripe Kerala banana for making desserts like cake, kheer, muffin, halwa, etc.
You can buy raw green Kerala banana and allow it to ripen at home. Choose a type of banana according to the recipe you are going to prepare.
Nutrients in Kerala Banana
Here is the nutrition information of 1 Kerala Banana (100 g)
Health Benefits of Kerala Banana for Babies and Toddlers
- Steamed Kerala banana is easily digestible for babies and small children.
- It won't cause cold and cough in children.
- Kerala banana is rich in fiber and prevents constipation and aids digestion in babies.
- The fiber and starch found in Kerala banana help in healthy weight gain in babies and kids.
- Vitamin C in Kerala banana acts as an antioxidant and helps build up your baby's immune system.
- Kerala banana is an excellent source of potassium and magnesium which supports healthy bone development and supports the nervous system.
- Vitamin B6 in the Kerala banana benefits brain function in children.
- It gives instant energy and keeps your child active throughout the day.
Raw Green Kerala Banana Recipes for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
Ripe (Yellow/ Black) Kerala Banana Recipes for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
Do try all these delicious homemade Kerala banana baby food Indian recipes:)