Raw Banana Powder for babies & kids – Healthy weight gain food for babies prepared with Raw Banana/Plantain/ Kerala Nendran Banana/Green banana/Kannan Pazham. Regular bananas and plantains look similar, but they are not same, though plantains belong to a banana family. Plantains are bigger, bright green, and thick-skinned. It shouldn’t be given in the raw form and need to be steam cooked for babies and kids.
Plantain can be included in babies diet in the form of raw banana powder and is often given as a first food in Kerala, India. This powder also helps in healthy weight gain in babies & kids. The raw banana powder is commonly available in stores, but making at home is easy and recommendable for babies.
Health Benefits of Raw banana powder for babies and kids
- Raw banana/plantain is easily digestible and doesn’t cause cold to children unlike regular bananas
- Helps boost the immune system
- Promotes healthy brain function for baby and kids
- Potassium-rich and packed with nutrients and it is a superfood for babies
How to use this raw banana powder for babies
- Use this powder to make porridge with ghee and feed to baby. Here is the recipe of how to make porridge with raw banana powder.
- For babies above one year, you can make a milkshake with this powder. Tastes great! Here is the recipe of how to make a milkshake with raw banana powder.
- You can also make halwa with this raw banana powder which is a perfect dessert for babies and kids. Here is the recipe of how to make halwa with raw banana powder.
When and how to introduce raw banana powder to babies
This raw banana powder can be given to babies after seven months once you introduced a few vegetable or fruit purees and rice. When you introduce, begin with 1 tbsp of cooked raw banana powder porridge and check whether the baby shows an allergic reaction. Check it for three days, and if the baby is not allergic to it, you can increase the amount gradually. For babies above one year, raw banana powder porridge can be made with milk.
Points to consider while making Raw banana powder for baby and kids
- Pick the unripe plantains/nendran bananas for making this raw banana powder.
- Dry the banana slices entirely under the sun before making it to powder.
- Sieve it well after preparing the powder, as the seeds are not easily digestible for babies.
- Make sure to cook the raw banana powder thoroughly or at least for 10 minutes before feeding your baby.
- Raw Nendran Banana/Plantain - 1 big
- Take one big raw banana/plantain. Trim both the edges. Then slit the rims and peel off the skin from bananas.
- Slice the bananas as thin as possible. Use a slicer to make the job easy. The slices should be very thin so that it gets dried up easily.
- Transfer the banana slices in a plate, arrange it and sun dry it for 2-3 days.
- After sun drying the banana slices, transfer to a dry mixer jar and blend it to a smooth powder.
- Then sieve the powder thoroughly with a sieve. Discard the seeds. Cool it down and store in an airtight container.
Here is the video of how to make raw banana powder for babies
- You can store this raw banana ragi powder in an airtight container. It stays well 2 to 3 months at room temperature.
- Make sure you cool down completely before storing the powder. Otherwise, it will let out moisture.
- If you want to prepare large batches and store, use 3-4 big raw bananas.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.