Instant banana idli - a quick, no grind, no fermentation idlis are made with banana, sooji/ rava (cream of wheat) and poha. Banana Recipes are clear winner for kids. As I have mentioned earlier, my little daughter loves banana so I take chances to try different varieties with it. I have seen sweet idli recipe in a cookbook some time back and I modified the recipe to add bananas instead of more sweetener and came out too good:) No surprise my dd loved it 🙂 This banana idli can be given to babies after 8 months as a quick breakfast. Do try once for your little one and family and enjoy this delicious idlis.
Now Let's get on to check how to make this easy instant banana idli recipe for babies, toddlers & kids.
Banana Idli Recipe For Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Poha/Aval/Beaten Rice- 1/4 cup
- Sooji/Rava - 1/2 cup
- Banana - 1 long sized
- Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup optional
- Jaggery - 1/4 cup
- Salt - a pinch optional
- Baking soda - a pinch optional
- Cardamom powder - a pinch
- Water - as required
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Cashews - 8 to 10
- Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Measure poha and sooji/rava. Add water to jaggery till it immersed level and melt it. Set the jaggery syrup aside. Keep all other ingredients ready. Soak poha in water 5 minute or until soft. I used thick poha variety and it was soft enough to mash with 5 minutes of soaking. Thin variety poha might take little longer time. Grind the soaked poha and grated coconut with little water to a smooth paste.
- Mash the bananas well with hand or fork. Now in a vessel, add rava, poha coconut paste, jaggery syrup, ghee, cashews, raisins with pinch of salt. Mix everything well. Add water and let it sit for 15-30 minutes.
- After 15-30 minutes, poha and rava absorbed most of the water content. Hence adjust with water to make it idli batter consistency that is neither too thick nor thin. Add baking soda if using. Now start making idlis, pour the batter in each idli mould.
- Steam it with a cup of water for 10 to 12 minutes in medium flame. Check with a spoon, if it's coming clean, the Idlis are ready! Switch off the flame and remove from moulds.
- The same recipe can be tried with wheat rava instead of sooji.
- I have used Nendran Kerala banana. You can use any banana variety.
- For small babies skip whole cashews and raisins. Instead use powdered nuts.
- I used thick poha variety and it was soft enough to mash with 5 minutes of soaking. Thin variety poha might take little longer.
- Give at least 15-30 minutes or even an hour of sitting time once the batter is ready. That gives softest idlies without using baking soda.
- This banana idli batter can be fermented for some 5 hours. It keeps well for a day or two in refrigerator if baking soda is not added.
- Skip salt, jaggery, coconut and baking soda for babies below one year.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredients separate to your baby, before you try this banana idli recipe.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.