Banana fritters- crispy deep fried snack made with long variety bananas and whole wheat flour. Banana fritters is a famous snack and known as pazham pori or pazham bajji or ethakka appam in Kerala, India. The traditional banana fritters is made of all purpose flour/maida, I have replaced it with whole wheat flour to make it healthy, it turned out good but the taste is slightly different from the ones made with maida. However, we liked this version very much and the banana fritters got over in no time. You can try this deep fried snack once in a while as a treat to your toddler or kid as a quick evening snack. Am sure they will enjoy it;) Do try this and update how it turned out to you 🙂
Let’s check how to make this crispy banana fritters for toddlers and kids.
- Kerala Nendran Banana/large banana - 2 nos
- Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
- Rice Flour - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Brown sugar - ¼ cup
- Water - ¾ cup
- Cardamom - 1
- Salt - a pinch
- Baking soda - a pinch
- Oil - for deep frying
- Keep all ingredients ready. Peel the bananas.
- Cut each banana into quarter inch strips. In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, rice flour, baking soda, brown sugar, cardamom powder and required salt.
- Add required water and mix all the ingredients well to form a batter consistency. Dip each banana strip into the paste.
- Deep fry in the pre heated oil until golden brown.Do it in batches. Drain it in tissue paper to remove extra oil. Switch it off once done and serve.
- You can use any long banana variety, but Kerala Nendran banana gives a nice flavor.
- Choose medium ripe banana for best results.
- Adjust sweetness according to the taste of banana.
- You can use jaggery instead of brown sugar.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.