Mixed vegetable soup is a nutritious and healthy soup recipe that can be done in jiffy with wholesome goodness of the vegetables. It is the best way to include veggies in babies diet. This mixed vegetable soup can be prepared with any vegetables of your choice. But the flavor and taste of this mixed vegetable soup differs based on the veggies you add in the soup.
I introduced this mixed vegetable soup to my baby at her 6th month as a clear soup. Once her tummy is adjusted with the clear vegetable soup, I offered the mixed vegetable soup without straining. Please refer to the notes section for more points to consider before making this soup. Let’s check how to make this easy mixed vegetable soup for babies.
- Carrot - 1 tbsp chopped
- Beans - 1 tbsp chopped
- Fresh Peas - 10 nos taken frompod
- Potato - 1 tbsp chopped
- Bottle Gourd - 2 tbsp chopped
- Tomato - 1 tbsp chopped
- Salt - a pinch
- Butter/Ghee - ¼ tsp
- Pepper powder - a tiny pinch (optional)
- Jeera Powder - a pinch (optional)
- Water - as needed
- Sterilise the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Wash all the vegetables in running water well. Then peel the skin off from carrot, beans, tomato, bottle gourd and potato with a peeler. Then chop them into equal size small cubes. Steam the chopped veggies in a steamer for 10 minutes. I have used Philips avent steamer come blender for both steaming and blending. Alternatively you can steam it with Idli steamer plate by adding a cup of water or pressure cook it with a cup of water for 3 whistles.
- Once the the vegetables are steamed cooked , it will be soft and transparent. Now blend it with little water to a smooth paste in a blender. Alternatively you can starin them using a strainer to get a clear soup. Then reheat the blended soup with butter or ghee in a vessel for two minutes with salt, pepper and jeera powder (if using). Switch off the flame and serve warm.
You could use any seasonal vegetables of your choice for making this soup. But ensure that your baby is not allergic to any of those vegetables.
- Add tomatoes to this mixed vegetable soup only after the baby completed 7 months. As some babies can’t digest the acidic nature of tomatoes.
- Make sure to peel and de-seed the tomatoes.
- Adding jeera and pepper powder is purely optional.
- Introduce this mixed vegetable soup to your baby once her tummy is adjusted with couple of veggies and also when introducing give it as a clear soup and later you can make it thick without straining.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Steaming is a healthy option for baby food than pressure cooking. So I prefer steaming using a Idli pot or steamer.