Bottle Gourd Soup - Nutritious and tasty soup with bottle gourd, garlic and moong dal for babies, toddlers, and kids. This wonderful soup has a nice flavor of a bottle gourd, and it is surprisingly easy to make. Also, adding moong dal in the bottle gourd soup increase the protein content. This bottle gourd soup is easily digestible and can be given to babies from 6 months.
Check out other bottle gourd recipes for babies, toddlers, and Kids.
Bottle Gourd Soup Recipe for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
- Cubed Bottle Gourd- 1/2 cup
- Yellow moong dal - 1.5 tbsp
- Shallots/Small Onions - 2
- Garlic - 1 small clove
- Salt - as required
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Olive Oi/Butter- 1 Tbsp
- Wash, peel and chop bottle gourd into cubes. Wash the moong dal and drain the water. Set aside. Keep all the other ingredients ready. In a pressure cooker, heat a tbsp of oil and add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Then add shallots and garlic. Fry them nicely until translucent.
- Now add in soaked moong dal followed by cubed bottle gourd. Give a quick stir.
- Sprinkle required salt. Add 1 cup of water.
- Pressure cook everything together for two whistles in medium low flame. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker.
- Transfer the pressure cooked the bottle gourd to a blender with water used for cooking. Grind it to a smooth puree. Serve the soup warm!
Here is the video of how to make bottle gourd soup for baby and Toddlers
- You can sprinkle some pepper powder if you prefer the soup spicy.
- Don't use more water for pressure cooking. Otherwise, the soup will be watery.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food to the baby.
- Skip salt for babies below one year.