Bottle Gourd halwa/Lauki Halwa – delicious and healthy dessert with bottle gourd aka lauki, milk, ghee and nuts. Lauki halwa is a famous north indian dessert and I wanted to try this yummy halwa for a long time but had a doubt that how it will turn out. To my surprise, it tasted so good and a bowl of lauki halwa finished in no time. This can be easily prepared when your kids demand a quick dessert. This is surely healthy, nutritious and tasty too! This bottle halwa can be given to babies after one year as a dessert.
Now Let’s check how to make this bottle gourd halwa recipe for toddlers and kids.
Bottle Gourd Halwa Recipe for Toddlers and Kids | Lauki Halwa
- bottle gourd/Lauki- 1 small sized or grated bottle gourd- 1 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- sugar/jaggery powder/ Palm Sugar/ Brown Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Homemade Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/8 tsp
- Cashews - 1 tbsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash and peel the bottle gourd, remove the center part. Then grate them using a grater and keep it ready. Heat a thick bottomed pan with a tbsp of ghee and add cashews, fry them until golden brown. Remove from the pan once done.
- In the same pan, add grated bottle gourd and saute them nicely in low medium flame until raw smell of the vegetale leaves. It may take 5 minutes.
- Then add required amount of milk to it and cook it in low medium for another 3-5 minutes.
- Give a stir occasionally. Milk will boil and bubble up nicely. Cook it until the bottle gourd is completely cooked and the milk is absorbed fully.
- Once the milk is absorbed almost, add sugar/brown sugar/jaggery powder and cardamom. Mix well. After adding sugar, the mixture will liquefied and gets thicken up with time. Keep stirring in between and add the remaining ghee little by little. When the halwa forms a whole mass and doesn't stick to the pan, add ghee fried cashews and switch off the flame.
- Make sure to cook the bottle gourd fully before adding any sweetener.
- You can use any sweetener of your choice. Use brown sugar or jaggery powder for a healthier version.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Any nuts of your choice can be added to this halwa.
- Don’t prefer whole nuts for small babies, instead add powdered nuts.