Ulundhankali/ ulundhu kali - super healthy sweet prepared with black urad dal, rice, and palm jaggery. It is an authentic black urad dal kali recipe made in our native "Tirunelveli." I have learned it from my mother, and its mainly given to girl children during puberty, pregnant women, and lactating moms as its good for pelvic muscles and uterus. It is also a calcium-rich weight gaining food for growing toddlers and kids after one year. Its traditionally made with a lot of sesame oil, but you can make it with ghee too. Do include this healthy ulundhu kali in your kid's and family's diet once in two weeks and enjoy the goodness!
Here is how to make a black ulundhu kali recipe for toddlers, kids, and family.
Black Urad Dal kali recipe, Karupu Ulundhu Kali/ Ulunthankali recipe - Best For Toddlers, Kids, Pregnant Women and Breastfeeding Moms
- Black urad dal - ½ Cup
- Raw rice - 2 tbsp optional
- Palm jaggery- 1 Cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Sesame oil /Gingelly oil - ½ cup
- Dry ginger powder -½ tsp
- Cardamom Powder - ½ tsp
- Add urad dal in a pan and dry roast until pleasant aroma comes. Remove and cool down once done.
- Add rice in the same pan and dry roast until puffy. Remove and cool down once done.
- Transfer to a mixie jar and grind it to a fine powder
- Take palm jaggery in a saucepan, add water until immerse level, heat until it dissolved, and melts completely.
- Strain the palm jaggery water to remove impurities.
- Take the ground urad rice powder in a thick bottomed pan and add 2 cups of water.
- Mix well with a whisk. Cook in low flame until the urad dal gets cooked well.
- Add in palm jaggery syrup, cardamom powder, and dry ginger powder.
- Mix well.
- Add in sesame oil and mix well.
- Keep stirring with a spatula until it thickens.
- To check the kali is done, Dip your fingers in water, take some kali and try to roll, you should be able to roll smoothly. Switch off the flame once the stage is reached.
- Coat with little oil, Make small balls and serve!
5. Strain the palm jaggery water to remove impurities.
- When you start ulandhankali for babies, start with small quantity and increase based on baby's tolerance level
- You can also make this kali with whole black urad dal or white urad dal too.
- You can even use jaggery instead of Palm jaggery.
- Make sure not to form lumps at any stage.
- Sesame oil is good for health, so make sure to add generously as mentioned the recipe to get the authentic taste and texture.
- Make sure to cook the urad dal well.
- Generally, urad dal doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
Receipe came out very well.excellent way of writing receipe. Just need to give some over time ? for this receipe.
Thanks for your positive feedback:)