Chicken soup - a healthy soup recipe for babies, toddlers, and kids made with chicken and little spices. Chicken soup is an excellent remedy for cold and cough as it helps to reduce the stuffy nose and congestion, and also it is apt for monsoon and winter seasons! As chicken soup is made with onions, ginger, and garlic, which helps to boost the immune system as well.
I make this chicken soup more often as it is our family favorite. This chicken soup can be given to babies from 8 months as a clear soup. If your baby/kid doesn't want to drink it plain, you could also serve this chicken soup with mashed rice, idli dosa, etc. For more information on introducing and selecting chicken for babies, check here. Also, check out our healthy Soup collection
Chicken Soup Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Chicken pieces with bone - ¼ kg
- Bay leaves- 1 small
- Cinnamon - 1 medium sized
- Cloves - 2
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Ginger - ½ teaspoon grated
- Garlic - 4 small cloves finely chopped
- Onions - 1 medium size finely chopped
- Pepper corns - ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1.5 tablespoon chopped
- Salt - as required
- Oil/Ghee - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - ¼ tsp optional
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Water - 2 cups
- Keep all ingredients ready. Clean chicken pieces and chop into small pieces. Finely chop ginger, coriander leaves, onions & garlic. Grind half amount of onions, coriander leaves, cumin seeds and pepper corns to a fine paste.
- In a pressure cooker, heat a teaspoon of ghee/oil and add cinnamon, cloves & cumin seeds. Let cumin seeds crackle.
- Then add remaining onions, chopped ginger & garlic. Fry them nicely until golden brown. Now add ground coriander paste and saute until raw smell leaves.
- Then add turmeric powder, pepper powder(if using) and required salt. Mix everything well and then add chopped chicken pieces and saute it nicely for 5 minutes.
- Pressure cook the chicken with 2 cups of water for 3-4 whistles in medium flame or until the chicken is cooked well. Once the pressure is released open the cooker. Strain the chicken soup with a strainer to get a clear soup, if desired.
- For small babies, offer clear soup after straining the soup using a strainer.
- Chicken with bone pieces works well for this recipe.
- You could also add one small chopped carrot to this soup to make it more healthy. Add chopped carrots after adding coriander paste, if using.
- Make sure to clean the chicken pieces well.
- Add a teaspoon of red chilli powder if you prefer more spicy.
- Skip the salt for babies below one year.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.