Chicken Biryani - Easy, quick, one pot satisfying meal made with pressure cooker. I love chicken in any form but this chicken biryani is my favorite. The preparation of this chicken biryani is almost similar to the mutton biryani which I posted long back.
This version of chicken biryani is very simple to make but flavorful, also it's made with less spices and masalas which makes it kids friendly. It can be given to babies from one year after introducing chicken separately. Do try this on a weekend and enjoy with your family 🙂
Here is how to make easy chicken biryani recipe for toddlers and kids.
Easy Chicken Biryani Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Chicken - 400 gms
- Onion - 1 large sized
- Tomato - 1 large sized
- Ginger garlic paste - 1.5 tbsp
- Green chillies - 1 to 2
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Mint leaves - 10
- Corainder leaves - a handful
- Thick curd - 3 tbsp
- Lemon Juice - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Cinnamon - ¼ inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Cardamom - 1
- Fennel seeds - ½ tsp
- Slice onions, chop tomatoes finely. Slit green chillies. Roughly chop coriander and mint leaves. Set aside. Wash chicken pieces and keep it ready along with other ingredients.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee & oil. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds & cardamom. Fry for a minute and then add onions. Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions becomes transparent , add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell leaves. Then add tomatoes.
- Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and become mushy. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and required salt. Give a quick stir. Now add the chicken pieces and saute them nicely until the masalas are coated well with chicken pieces.
- Add curd now and mix well. Add a cup of water and bring it to a boil. Pressure cook the chicken for 2 whistles.
- In the meantime, wash and soak rice in water. Open the cooker once the pressure released. Measure water from the gravy.( It's approximately 1.25 cups for me).
- Then add soaked basmati rice and mix well. Add coriander leaves & mint leaves together. Give a quick stir.
- Add remaining water (¾ cup of water) and bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly, add lemon juice and top with ghee if required.
- Normal cooking rice also can be used to prepare this chicken biryani.
- For 1 cup of rice and chicken , 2 cups of water is sufficient with prior soaking of rice for 20 minutes. So measure the water and use it accordingly.
- You can add 1 cup of coconut milk too. Adjust water accordingly.
- Adjust spices & green chilli according to your preference.
- Chicken with bones are preferable for making this biryani.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
Hi, I made this recipe step by step. While, the rice came out very yummy and flavourful, the chicken was too rubbery and had no flavour at all. It was like chewing bland overcooked chicken that was stringy and rubbery. Do you think 5 whistles did it? How to get tender flavourful chicken?
It depends on chicken variety. Decide no of based on the chicken you normally u use, in your case may be 2 -3 whistles would do. Also if you want your chicken to be more flavourful, marinate the chicken with spice powders (instead of adding them in cooker) for 15 minutes. Also add small chicken pieces instead of big ones.
Hope it helps!
Hi - what is curd that you refer to? Is that milk or yogurt (I live in the US). thank you!
curd is plain unsweetened yogurt