Watery rice gruel/ rice soup/ Arisi kanji is a instant energy booster which is loaded with proteins, vitamins and starch. It can be given as the very first food to babies before introducing this rice porridge and dal ka pani. It provides instant energy to babies to keep them active for all day.
This watery rice gruel also given as a remedy for diarrhea or fever in babies. It helps the sick child to recover quickly. Even it works for adults too. Here is how to make the watery rice gruel recipe for babies.
- Parboiled rice - 2 tbsp
- Water - 2.5 cups
- Sterilise the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Take 2 tbsp of rice and wash it well. Add the washed rice to a cooking pot or sauce pan and add 2.5 cups of water. Cook the rice in medium flame with occasional stirring.
- Cook the rice until it gets completely cooked and soft. It may take 10 to 15 minutes. Once the rice is completely cooked, switch off the flame. Let it cool down for some time. Then Mash the rice a bit with a laddle n stain through a strainer to get a thin watery rice soup.
- Initially offer your baby rice water alone, then you can gradually include the mashed rice as well.
- You could add dal ka pani or mashed dal and vegetable stock to this rice soup for extra nutrition and flavor.
- Generally rice doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Salt or sugar is not advisable for babies under one year.
- If you are feeding this watery rice gruel for toddlers, you could add salt.
- You can even pressure cook the rice for 3 whistles and then stain the water to get a watery rice gruel.