Curd rice is my favorite from childhood and especially the one with tempering. To make it healthy, I have tried curd rice with little millet aka Samai. It turned out super tasty than our regular curd rice. Samai millet is good for stomach and cure menstruation related problems for ladies. It also helps to reduce the body heat during summer when taken as curd rice.
Let’s check the recipe.
- Little millet/ Samai - ½ cup
- Thick Curd - 1 cup
- Butter - 1 tsp (optional)
- Carrots grated - 3 tbsp
- Cucumber - 1 tbsp chopped
- Corainder leaves - 2 tbsp chopped
- Milk - ⅛ cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Green chilli - 1
- Chopped Ginger - 2 tsp
- Wash & peel the skin off from carrots and grate them using a grater. Keep aside. Chop cucumber into small pieces. Finely chop green chillies, Corainder leaves and ginger. Set aside.
- Heat a tadka pan with oil and add the items to temper in order. Let the mustard seeds cracks and urad dal turn brown. Add curry leaves, green chillies and ginger now and fry for a minute. Switch off the flame. Keep aside.
- Wash the Samai rice in running water twice and add two cups of water to it. Pressure cook it for three whistles in medium flame. Once pressure releases, open and mash the cooked Samai rice with a laddle. Let it cool down completely.
- Now add curd, butter and mix it well. Then add grated carrot, cucumber, coriander leaves, required salt along with milk. Mix it well again.
- Then add the tempered items to the curd rice and mix it well.
Serve chilled with cut mango pieces and pickle ! Tastes heavenly !!